1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Ideal Career?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 8, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm wondering if there was any job out there that you could do, what you would choose.

If I had my way, I'd get paid to review luxury accommodation around the world. Can you imagine how awesome that would be? Getting to not only travel, but stay at some of the nicest places in the world while doing it! My backpackers budget can only dream, right?!

What about you? What sort of thing would you love to do (it can be as unrealistic/dreamy as you want!)

2. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I would like to be a travel writer or photographer. Being paid to travel and write about my experiences sounds like a dream to me. Right now I write about theater and entertainment so it is fun to go to these events and write about them, but it is nothing like going to a foreign land and getting paid to be immersed in a culture.

ikram likes this.

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

It's not a secret to my family and friends I've always wanted to be a famous writer where my published books have given me a stable income so I can travel anywhere, do anything I want and get invited to readings and such. Sometimes all I really want though is boundless love as I think about that poem by Frank O'Hara. In an alternate universe I'd be a poet/philosopher with no real career just a following and I'd be infinitely happy already. :)

4. Delirium

Delirium Member

Personally, I'd love to be in the music industry. I know it's really tough though, and it can be a pretty vile place at times, with the stiff competition and all. Realistically though, I think I want to be either a writer or a chef. I might juggle between them, I don't know yet. I'm not completely sure if my English is good enough for me to write a book just yet - chef, cooking is a hobby of mine but I rarely cook for the sake of cooking, if you get what I mean. I mostly cook because I have to, not as a hobby where I get to make nice cakes and fancy dishes and all. I don't think my parents would be very happy with me burning a hole in my pocket by buying unnecessary ingredients. Plus being a chef comes with a pretty horrible work hour (at least 12 hours a day, six days a week) so that's another thing to think about. I really still have to figure it out.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I love cooking too but I worry that if I had to do it as a career it would end up seeming like work/a chore when I was at home - and I definitely don't want that to be the case! And you're right, every chef I know works insanely long hours. I don't know that it would lend a very good quality of life to me - I think it would be fun for a little while but then the novelty would wear off!

6. Rimanana

Rimanana New Member

I'd love to write professionally for a blog or website. I'm studying graphic design and I'm thinking of starting a website talking about my experiences and giving tips. Either that or working for an advertising company.

7. innaf93

innaf93 Member

I really would like to write about movies and aesthetics, I have a BA degree in film theory and getting my MA next year. So to do professionally what I learned and love in my whole life really would be nice.

When I was 18 I though I want to be a kindergarten teacher but it turned out that it was all the joke of hormones :)

ikram likes this.
  8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I used to want to be a teacher too, when I was in school myself! Then I think once I was out of school I realized just how difficult it truly is to be a teacher - I honestly don't know that I would have the patience for it!!

ikram likes this.
  9. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Wow, thanks for the like and reply. I hope that means it will come true one day. And yes, after I started a second degree in teaching also started as a babysitter at a three kid family and to tell you the truth it helped me to leave school and continue film studies. And what a good decision it was!

10. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

I currently make money selling and making hand knit items, but I wouldn't quite call it a career at the moment.

Sometime in the future I'd like to turn it into one, though. I'd like to open up a storefront that sells my hand made items as well as crafting supplies. I've always had a fascination with all things crafty, and I think what I'm meant to do is to share that with as many people as possible.

Plus, there are currently no good yarn shops in my area...

11. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9h New Member

If I could do anything, I would like to be a photographer. I love taking pictures. People always say I should do something with my photos, but I wouldn't even know where to start. Maybe one day I will figure something out.

12. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

@cheryllei9h A friend of mine from high school had that same ambition. She ended up getting a job at a photo place in the mall to start out. They paid for all of her training, and she got to do what she loved to do as a job. That was a great start up for her, and now she owns her own business! Maybe that'd be a choice for you, too?