1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Excellent Trekking Trails Around Bangalore

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Debapriya Deb, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Trekking has always been the quintessential mode of exploring the beauty of any region. Blessed with lots of greenery all around, Karnataka, in general, is considered to be a trekker's paradise. Inviting hills, serene rivers, evergreen forests, rich wildlife, winding streams and countless lakes have made it a favourite among nature lovers.

If you are a resident of Bangalore and planning for an adventurous outing in near future, then here are a few of the most fascinating trekking trails in and around the city of Bangalore.

1. Ramnagaram:

Interests: Trekking, Rock Climbing.
    Difficulty Level: Easy
    Distance: 60 KM (from Bangalore City)
    Best Time to Visit: October to March (Winter Season)

You may not have even heard the name of this place, but when you land here you will be surprised to notice a feeling of 'Deja Vu'. Something like - "I have been to this place before"! You have not visited this place ever - physically, but still you will feel a strange awareness about the surroundings here. No, I am not trying to endorse the concept of re-incarnation.

This bizarre feeling of resemblance comes from the fact that you have virtually strolled around Ramnagaram through the eyes of Ramesh Sippy - possibly more than a few times. Yes, now you have guessed it right! This is indeed the 'Ramgarh' as portrayed in the iconic Bollywood movie 'Sholey'!

A valley surrounded by rocky hillocks on the bank of Arkavathy river, Ramnagaram is an excellent choice for trekking and rock climbing. Revanasiddeshwara Betta, the highest of the 7 hillocks at this site has an altitude of 3066 feet above the sea level. Besides exploring the all-around greenery of nature, you can also experience the adventure and thrill associated with rock climbing. If you have never been to a night trek, then it's time to realize the charm of trekking under moonlight at Ramnagaram.

So pick up your backpack, pull on your rain gear and head straight to Ramnagaram to rejoice in the beauty of nature. Do keep it in mind that the rocks get slippery during rainy days making it difficult for the amateur trekkers.

2. Sangama, Mekedatu & Chunchi Falls

Interests: Trekking, Riverbed, Waterfalls.
    Difficulty Level: Moderate
    Distance: 98 KM (from Bangalore City)
    Best Time to Visit: May to September (Post Monsoon)

Mekedatu offers you an opportunity to trek along the meandearing Cauvery river from its point of convergence with Arkavathy at Sangama to the Karighatta Hills situated at an elevation of 2697 feet from sea level. At Mekedatu, the river Cauvery flows through a very narrow gorge. Coupled with the serene surroundings, it offers a spectacular view of the gorging water on the backdrop of picturesque Karighatta Hills.

You can also take a dip in the shallow water of Cauvery at Sangama and explore the lesser known trekking route to the gorgeous Chunchi falls. This route is a bit difficult to trek, as at times there's no apparent path to follow and you have to wade your way through the plants, shrubs and trees.

Some of the huge rocks get quite steep at places making it difficult for new trekkers, especially the uphill climb while returning. It requires tricky footwork and good climbing skills to successfully negotiate the path to this lesser-known but beautiful waterfall.

3. Kunti Betta

Interests: Trekking, Grass Hills
    Difficulty Level - Moderate
    Distance - 130 KM (from Bangalore City)
    Best Time to Visit - Throughout the year

Kunti Betta Hill range is situated at a maximum elevation of 3155 feet at a distance of 130 KM from Bangalore, overlooking the Pandavapura settlement. Pandavpura is a small town that got its names after the mighty Pandavas of the Mahabharata. Going by Indian mythology, it's the same place where Bheema slayed Bakasura during the Pandavas exile of 14 years.

This rugged terrain filled with granite boulders is among the most sought after trekking destinations around Bangalore - a favorite, particularly, with the young techies. You can find steep monolithic rocks, abandoned caves and scattered grasslands on this trail. The hawk-eye view of Tonnuru Lake and the surrounding lush green sugarcane fields from the top of the hills is simply spectacular.

Kunti Betta also offers the opportunity of night trekking. A night treck allows the trekkers to witness the beauty of the peak under the spell of the moonlight. Overnight camping on top of the hills with campfire to catch the stunning views of sunrise is a mesmerizing experience as well. Chunchanghatte falls on the Cauvery river basin can also be explored during this trek.

So what are you waiting for? Make sure to catch a few glimpses of nature's splendour on your next adventurous trip. Always keep it in mind to go with an experienced group of trekkers or under the guidance of experts if you are going on a trek for the first time.

Hope the above information will prove to be helpful for trekkers and nature lovers in and around Bangalore. You can always drop my a PM for any queries that you might have.

Regards,
    Deb

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Chahal likes this.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Sangama, Mekedatu & Chunchi Falls really caught my attention. I'm not really much of a trekker and the other two trekking sites seem to be very difficult to go into for a beginner. But Sangama, Mekedatu & Chunchi Fall looks like it can work for trekking for a beginner. Plus, I love the river and falls that it has. The other two places look very beautiful but I doubt that I can make it through them lol. I'm sure experienced trekkers will have no trouble hiking through them though!

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Glad to see the treks you mention are all easy and moderately rated! I've never done anything higher than that, so I think I could tackle these ones relatively easily. Hiking is a favorite thing to do of mine when I'm on a vacation because I really feel like being connected with nature and the outdoors is a wonderful way to experience a country and what it has to offer. Simple things like getting to view different plants, trees and flowers than what I would see in my home country is always so interesting to me!

I think Kunti Betta looks the most interesting to me - those granite formations look absolutely incredible!