1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for trip down south

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Saambat, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Saambat

Saambat New Member

I've been living in Delhi for eight months now, but I'm looking to take a trip down to Kerala. I want to take buses and trains the whole way and stop at crucial spots that emphasize nature, beaches (Goa, etc.), and life changing food. I would love suggestions on transportation, places to stay for a budget backpacker, and states/districts to visit.

2. Arn

Arn New Member

I can tell u about some places to visit in Kerala.

1. Fort Kochi : It is in the Ernakulam district. There is a mix of old houses and settlements which reflect Dutch, Portuguese and British culture. There is the famous Fort Kochi beach. Other important places to visit : St. Francis Church, Santa Cruze Basilica, Fort Emmanuel, Jewish Synagogue. Also try out Kashi Art Cafe.

2. Mararikulam, Allepy district. Mararikulam is a beautiful beach area. It is ideal for a one day stay. I personally recommend Abad Turtle Bay, for a comfortable stay. Do try the Allepy fishy curry.

3. Kozhikode or Calicut : It is a vibrant city in Kerala. It is the city where Vasco De Gama first set foot, at Kappad. Visit the Mittai Theruvu ( Mittai Street) Try the Sulaimani tea, Calicut Halwa, Calicut Biriyani , etc.

4. Wayanad : Wayanad District is a district in the north-east of Kerala state, India with headquarters at the town of Kalpetta. Main attractions are Banasura Sagar Dam, Chembra Peak, Karaouzha Dam, etc. Affordable homestays are easily available. Wayanad can be accessed from Cochin or Kozhikode by car or long distance transport bus.

5. Idukki : It is the second largest district in Kerala. The area is covered by dense forests. There wildlife sanctuaries, so the main attractions are the hills, and the diversity of wildlife. Famous attractions are Anamudi Peak, the highest in South India, Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, founded by Dr Salim Ali, Eravikulam Park, which has many interesting flora and fauna, mainly Nilgiri tahe, and the Neelakurunji, a flower which has a blooming period of 12 years. In this place too, homestay cottages are available easily. Idukki can also be accessed from Cochin by car , bus , or train.

There are many more places to visit, but I'm kinda short of time as I'm a student and i have exams now. I'll post again, hope this helps .

3. clair02

clair02 New Member

Thanks Arn, for the helpful tips. I'm planning to travel to India early next year, and I could use all the information I can get to help me plan our trip the best possible way. I have not yet decided which part of the country we will be staying in, and the decision gets harder by the day because there are so many beautiful places to choose from. I think I'll spend a bit more time here before I make up my mind.

4. djtravels

djtravels Member

Ok. Well, first take the Rajdhani from Delhi to Mumbai. This is important since Goa is on your list. From their take chair car train instead of a sleeper one. For example, the gareeb rath. Now that you've reached Goa comfortably, make sure you don't stay at a hotel. Its always better to pay for a home stay because its more comfortable, you get better prices, and you also get to utilize your home owner's network - which is key in Goa.

After you're done with Goa, head to Humpy via bus. It has a lot of architectural ruins and what not. Then, from Humpy go to Mysore. Visit the palace there and check out the other tourist spots. The quality of transportation in Mysore and beyond is amazing and in some cases futuristic. So you're in good hands once you get there. From their get to silicon city Bengaluru via bus. Once you're in Bengaluru, take the KSRTC bus or take the direct train to Trivandurum [Kerala]. Roam around. Then head to Munnar. From there go to Cochin. And from Cochin come back to Bengaluru. Take the flight home to Delhi. Or live in Bengaluru forever, why even go to Delhi :p

Admin likes this.
  5. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Go to Pondicherry (puducherry), the best place to be in South India. Its a small island town which used to be a french Colony and it still retains its french flavor with its Churches, Old buildings etc having the European influence. Many local residents have French ancestry and it is the official language here with many native speakers. Peaceful, lovely little place. can visit the Auroville Matri Mandir, an Ashram and meditation center of the Sri Arobindi Society. Its is a serene, sacred spiritual place where you can stay for a few days and find some inner peace.