1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air India ticket cancellation charges

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by KMittal, Aug 20, 2016.

1. KMittal

KMittal New Member

I have an Air India ticket which I have booked for next month, but due to some personal reasons I am now unable to travel, I wanted to know what the cancellation charges are?

What would be the refund procedure?

I am in the hope they would not be a lot if I reschedule the dates to fly out how far ahead can they be booked?

I have not called Air India yet in the hope to get advice from the forum first.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

Here are the different cancellation charges for an Air India ticket:
    • If the cancellation is made less than 24 hours prior to scheduled departure of flight or if passenger is a no show - One hundred percent of basic air fare + YQ or fuel surcharge + transaction or convenience fee per passenger per sector.
    • If the cancellation is made between 24 hours to 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure of flight - Fixed penalty of Rs. 3,500/- or its equivalent in local currency + transaction or convenience fee per passenger per sector.
    • If the cancellation is made between 72 hours to 7 days prior to the scheduled departure of flight - Fixed penalty of Rs. 2,500/- or its equivalent in local currency + transaction or convenience fee per passenger per sector.
    • If the cancellation is made 7 days or more prior to the scheduled departure of flight - Fixed penalty of Rs. 2,000/- or its equivalent in local currency + transaction or convenience fee per passenger per sector.
    • Wherever the penalty is in excess of the sum of basic + YQ or fuel surcharge - One hundred percent of basic and fuel surcharge + transaction or convenience fee per passenger per sector will be deducted.
    So since you're going to cancel your ticket more than 7 days prior to your scheduled departure, you have a fixed penalty of Rs. 2,000/- or its equivalent in local currency + transaction or convenience fee per passenger per sector.

If you have booked the ticket online through the website of Air India, here's the procedure on cancelling it and getting a refund:
    • Just go into the Air India website and log into your account. If you don't have an account, you can still log into the site as a guest.
    • Click on the Manage Your Trip tab and under it, click the My Booking tab.
    • From here, you can modify your booking information and even cancel the booked ticket.
    • After verifying the information you provided, the refund will be automatically credited to the card you used for the booking. For credit cards, refund might take at least 7 days before they show up in the account. For ticket purchases made by cash, check or other forms of payment, they will issue your refund within 20 business days of receipt of your completed request for refund.
    If you have booked the ticket through the counter, you just need to present your ticket or your electronic ticket reference number at your local Air India office. They will then process the refund manually and it can take at least 20 days before your refund is given to you.

First of all, there's also a charge for booking reschedules or changes. Charges vary from Rs. 1,500 to Rs. 2,000, depending on booking class. In case the new fare is lower than original fare, residual amount is not refunded by the airlines. Also, these are the only valid tickets for rebooking or rescheduling:
    • If the change or cancellation is for the complete booking of all passengers.
    • If a rebooking fee or fare difference is payable then rebooking is permitted for only up to two reissues.
    • If the ticket is totally not utilised.
    You can reschedule your dates as early as you'd like but not later than 24 hours before the scheduled flight.

I hope this helps!

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Charges for postponing or cancelling an air ticket with Air India will largly depend upon the class of your ticket or fare basis. It is best to give air India a call and see what they would charge.