1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancellation charge of railway ticket

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by TarakManga, Jan 11, 2017.

1. TarakManga

TarakManga New Member

I have a railway ticket booked for the 19th January from Nagpur to Jaipur. I am not required to go anymore and would need to cancel the ticket.
    I would like to find out what the cancellation charge of railway ticket is, if it is a lot then I might as well carry on with the journey if not then I would proceed with the cancellation.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Cancellation-Charge-Indian-Railway.jpg

Overview

The Indian Railways is the most utilised public transportation system in the country. This extensive railway system began in the 18th century in the city of Bombay, now Mumbai. It has lines in most metro cities and even to suburban areas. It is regarded as one of the largest railway systems in the world, carrying over 20 million passengers in India daily. Thankfully, the Indian Railways has made it easier for passengers to reserve their tickets through their official online portal and other partnered websites. For those wondering about the refund rules or cancellation charges of the Indian Railways, this guide would highlight these areas. Because the refund rules are quite extensive, you would need to run through this guide carefully, in order to understand the system that the Indian Railways uses for ticket cancellation charges.

The Basics

First of all, railway tickets can be purchased personally, via an Indian Railways booking counter, or online, via the official website of the Indian Railways or even partnered booking sites. If you plan to cancel your ticket, you can do so by the counter or by the online way. However, for getting your refund, you can only do so the same way you have booked your ticket. So if you have booked your ticket via an Indian Railways booking counter, you can only obtain your refund from a booking counter. If you have booked your ticket online, your refund would be given via the credit card or debit card you used as well, but you cannot get it by cash from a booking counter.

Similarly, if you have an i-Ticket instead of an e-Ticket, you cannot cancel it online. Though the levied charges would be the same, you need to reach one of the Computerised Reservation Systems of Indian Railways, bring your copy of the i-Ticket and have it cancelled there. The refund charges would be levied to your respective credit card or debit card used when you booked the ticket online. Remember, cash transactions won't be allowed if you have booked your ticket online via credit card or debit card.

Next, we all know about the different types of tickets by the Indian Railways. We have the confirmed tickets, the waitlisted tickets, the reservation against cancellation tickets and the tatkal tickets. Depending on the type of ticket you have, the levied cancellation charges differ. Not to mention the class of ticket you have, which would also have different charges. Plus, the time that you're cancelling the ticket is also part of the equation, the closer to the departure time or the charting preparation, the higher would be the levied charges. Further, there are service charges and service taxes included in the equation as well.

There are also some exceptions to the rules. For instance, for those who have a confirmed tatkal ticket, there would be no refund given to you, no matter how early you cancel your ticket. And if ever your specific train is late for three hours or more, Indian Railways would automatically give the passengers of the train a full refund of the ticket.

Cancellation Charges for Confirmed Tickets (PRS Ticket, e-Ticket and i-Ticket)

We begin with confirmed tickets, whether you're holding a PRS Ticket, e-Ticket or i-Ticket, the charges remain the same. The only difference would be the levied service charges and service taxes, which we would also discuss below.

Cancellation Charges for Confirmed Tickets

ClassClerk ChargeCancellation of 48 Hours Before DepartureCancellation of 48 to 12 Hours Before DepartureCancellation of 12 to 4 Hours Before Departure
    First AC (1A)Rs. 240Clerk Charge Only at Rs. 240Clerk Charge + 25% of Fare DeductionClerk Charge + 50% of Fare Deduction
    Second AC (2A)Rs. 200Clerk Charge Only at Rs. 200Clerk Charge + 25% of Fare DeductionClerk Charge + 50% of Fare Deduction
    Third AC (3A)Rs. 180Clerk Charge Only at Rs. 180Clerk Charge + 25% of Fare DeductionClerk Charge + 50% of Fare Deduction
    Sleeper (SL)Rs. 120Clerk Charge Only at Rs. 120Clerk Charge + 25% of Fare DeductionClerk Charge + 50% of Fare Deduction
    Second Class (2S)Rs. 60Clerk Charge Only at Rs. 60Clerk Charge + 25% of Fare DeductionClerk Charge + 50% of Fare Deduction
    Don't get confused with the table above, just go through this simple explanation. First you have the different classes of seats in the Indian Railways trains at the first column. If you're holding a confirmed ticket, you can easily compute for your levied cancellation charges with this table. The second column highlights the minimum clerk charges of each class of seat. Take note of this column because it is an essential part of computing for your cancellation charges. Clerk charges are fees set upon the passengers for the time spent in clerical work for the refunding of the ticket.

On to the last three columns, we have the different time frames up to which you can cancel a confirmed Indian Railways ticket. If you cancel your confirmed ticket at least 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, your cancellation fees would only include the clerk charge. If you cancel your ticket within 48 to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, your ticket would be subjected to both minimum clerk charge plus 25% deduction in your fare. And if you cancel your ticket within 12 to 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, your ticket would be subjected to both minimum clerk charge plus 50% deduction in your fare. Any time beyond 4 hours before the scheduled departure of your train, there would be no more refund in your ticket, even if you cancel it.

That's not all though, as there are still service charges and service taxes that would be levied upon your ticket that you need to refund. You would need to add these other fees into your cancellation charges, in addition to the clerk charges and fare deductions mentioned above (if necessary).

Service Charges and Service Taxes for Confirmed Tickets

ClassService Charge (PRS & e-Ticket)Service Tax (PRS & e-Ticket)Service Charge (i-Ticket)Service Tax (i-Ticket)
    First AC (1A)Rs. 40Rs. 6Rs. 120Rs. 18
    Second AC (2A)Rs. 40Rs. 6Rs. 120Rs. 18
    Third AC (3A)Rs. 40Rs. 6Rs. 120Rs. 18
    Sleeper (SL)Rs. 20Rs. 3Rs. 80Rs. 12
    Second Class (2S)Rs. 20Rs. 3Rs. 80Rs. 12
    Depending on the type of ticket you have, whether it's a PRS, e-Ticket or i-Ticket, the service charges and service taxes are different. The service charges are the same for the PRS and e-Ticket, it is at Rs. 40 for the 1A, 2A and 3A classes while it's at Rs. 20 for the SL and 2S classes. The service tax is just 15% of the service charge. On the other hand, for i-Ticket holders, the service charges are higher at Rs. 120 for the 1A, 2A and 3A classes while it's at Rs. 80 for the SL and 2S classes. Again, the service tax is just 15% of the service charge.

How to Compute for the Cancellation Charges?

For example, you're holding a confirmed 1A e-Ticket for Nagpur to Jaipur, which costs Rs. 3,270. You need to cancel the ticket and it's more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train. Here's the formula you need to follow to compute for the levied cancellation charges.
    • Clerk Charge (Rs. 240) + Service Charge (Rs. 40) + Service Tax (Rs. 6) = Levied Charges (Rs. 286)
    • Confirmed 1A e-Ticket (Rs. 3,270) - Levied Charges (Rs. 286) = Refund Amount (Rs. 2,984)
    So first, you need to compute for the levied charges, by adding in the clerk charge, the service charge and service tax. You won't need to add in any fare deductions since you are cancelling the ticket more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train. Subtract the levied charges with the ticket fare proper and you'll get your refund amount.

Cancellation Charges for Waitlisted or RAC Tickets + Waitlisted Tatkal Tickets (PRS, e-Ticket and i-Ticket)

Next, we have the waitlisted or RAC tickets, also included here are the waitlisted tatkal tickets. Remember that confirmed tatkal tickets are not subjected to any refund amounts, no matter how early you cancel it. Again, the levied charges remain the same, whether you have a PRS Ticket, e-Ticket or i-Ticket but the service charges and service taxes differ.

Cancellation Charges for Waitlisted or RAC Tickets

ClassClerk ChargeCancellation of 48 Hours Before DepartureCancellation of 48 to 12 Hours Before DepartureCancellation of 12 Hours to 30 Minutes Before Departure
    First AC (1A)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Second AC (2A)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Third AC (3A)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Sleeper (SL)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Second Class (2S) ReservedRs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Second Class (2S) UnreservedRs. 30Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    The table above is more simple, as you can see, because there are no levied fare deductions, even if you cancel your ticket a few hours before the scheduled departure of the train. The rule of thumb is that you need to cancel your ticket at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train, or else you won't be given any refund thereafter. Clerk charges also remain the same for most classes at Rs. 60, except for the last class which is unreserved 2S, with Rs. 30 as the clerk charge. Only the clerk charges are levied upon the waitlisted or RAC tickets, along with the service charges and service taxes below.

Service Charges and Service Taxes for Waitlisted or RAC Tickets

ClassService Charge (PRS & e-Ticket)Service Tax (PRS & e-Ticket)Service Charge (i-Ticket)Service Tax (i-Ticket)
    Second Class (2S) ReservedRs. 20Rs. 3Rs. 80Rs. 12
    Second Class (2S) UnreservedRs. 20Rs. 3Rs. 80Rs. 12
    The table above is just the same as the previous table of service charges and service taxes for confirmed tickets. Additionally, the unreserved 2s class of ticket is in the table. It has the same service taxes and service charges as the reserved 2s class though.

How to Compute for Cancellation Charges?

Suppose you have a waitlisted SL i-Ticket from Nagpur to Jaipur, which costs Rs. 485. You need to cancel the ticket since you won't need to reach Jaipur anymore and it's about three hours prior to the departure of the train. Here's how you can compute for the cancellation charges.
    • Clerk Charge (Rs. 60) + Service Charge (Rs. 80) + Service Tax (Rs. 12) = Levied Charges (Rs. 152)
    • Waitlisted SL i-Ticket (Rs. 485) - Levied Charges (Rs. 152) = Refund Amount (Rs. 333)
    As mentioned above, as long as you cancel your waitlisted ticket 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train, the levied charges would be the same, which is the minimum clerk charge. So you have the clerk charge of Rs. 60, which you would then add with the service charge and service tax for the SL class for an i-Ticket. Once you have computed for that, subtract this number to the fare proper and you would know what is your refund amount.

Cancellation Charges for Partially Confirmed Tickets (PRS, e-Ticket and i-Ticket)

For partially confirmed PNR, meaning one ticket with several passengers, but not all are confirmed, some are waitlisted or RAC, the charges are just the same as above. However, to claim your refund charges, you need to file a TDR at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the train.

Cancellation Charges for Partially Confirmed Tickets

ClassClerk ChargeCancellation of 48 Hours Before DepartureCancellation of 48 to 12 Hours Before DepartureCancellation of 12 Hours to 30 Minutes Before Departure
    First AC (1A)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Second AC (2A)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Third AC (3A)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Sleeper (SL)Rs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Second Class (2S) ReservedRs. 60Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    Second Class (2S) UnreservedRs. 30Clerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge OnlyClerk Charge Only
    The levied clerk charges are just the same, Rs. 60 for all classes except the unreserved 2S class, which has a clerk charge of Rs. 30. It doesn't matter how early you file for the TDR, the charges remain the same, there would be no levied fare deductions. The clerk charges though are per passenger though so you need to compute per passenger, not per PNR.

Service Charges and Service Taxes for Partially Confirmed Tickets

Second Class (2S) ReservedRs. 20Rs. 3Rs. 80Rs. 12
    Second Class (2S) UnreservedRs. 20Rs. 3Rs. 80Rs. 12
    The same service charges and service taxes are applicable as well. This is usually the part that most passengers forget to compute in with their levied cancellation charges.

For example, you have 3 partially confirmed 2A e-Tickets from Nagpur to Jaipur, which costs around Rs. 1,915 per head. You need to cancel the ticket since the other members don't have confirmed seats yet. You need to file a TDR prior to claiming your refund but the charges below would be applied to each ticket.
    • Clerk Charge (Rs. 60) + Service Charge (Rs. 40) + Service Tax (Rs. 6) = Levied Charges (Rs. 106)
    • Partially Confirmed 2A e-Ticket (Rs. 1,915) - Levied Charges (Rs. 106) = Refund Amount (Rs. 1,809)
    So per ticket, there would be levied charges, if you choose to cancel some or all of them. The minimum clerk charge of Rs. 60 applies, since this is a 2A class of ticket, add to that the service charge and service tax for an e-Ticket of the same class. Now, subtract the levied charges to the fare amount and you'll get the refund amount.

Cancellation Charges for Suvidha Train Ticket (PRS or e-Ticket)

Suvidha trains are special trains that run only on festival seasons or peak seasons. The main feature of this type of train is that it only has two types of tickets, namely, confirmed ticket and RAC ticket. Once the quota gets filled, booking for seats for this train stops. Suvidha train tickets can be booked as early as a month until 10 days prior to the scheduled departure of the train.

Cancellation Charges for Suvidha Train Tickets

ClassClerk ChargeCancellation Up to 6 Hours Before Departure
    Second AC (2A)Rs. 200Clerk Charge + 50% Fare Deduction
    Third AC (3A)Rs. 180Clerk Charge + 50% Fare Deduction
    Sleeper (SL)Rs. 120Clerk Charge + 50% Fare Deduction
    Only three types of seats are available in a Suvidha train and each have their own clerk charges. For the 2A, the clerk charge is at Rs. 200, for the 3A, the clerk charge is at Rs. 180 and for the SL, the clerk charge is at Rs. 120. You can cancel your ticket up to six hours before the scheduled departure of the train to get a proper refund. The clerk charge would be added to a 50% fare deduction and the result would be the levied charges. You can still file for a TDR even after the designated six hours time but the guarantee of obtaining a refund is not assured.

Service Charges and Service Taxes for Suvidha Train Tickets

ClassService Charge (PRS & e-Ticket)Service Tax (PRS & e-Ticket)
    Second AC (2A)Rs. 40Rs. 6
    Third AC (3A)Rs. 40Rs. 6
    Sleeper (SL)Rs. 20Rs. 3
    For the three classes, the service charges and service taxes remain the same. Suvidha train tickets can be purchased via counter or even online in the form of e-Tickets.

Though there are no Suvidha trains right now from Nagpur to Jaipur. There is one though from Patna to Mumbai so let's utilise that as an example. You have booked a 3A e-Ticket (Rs. 1,775) for the Suvidha train but you need to cancel it because you can't make it to the journey after all. It's just seven hours prior to the scheduled departure of the train so you don't have much time. Here's how you can compute for the ticket cancellation charges.
    • Clerk Charge (Rs. 180) + Fare Deduction (50% of Rs. 1,775 = Rs. 887.50) + Service Charge (Rs. 40) + Service Tax (Rs. 6) = Levied Charges (Rs. 1,113.5)
    • Suvidha Train 3A e-Ticket (Rs. 1,775) - Levied Charges (Rs. 1,113.5) = Refund Amount (Rs. 661.5)
    You need to take the minimum clerk charge for the 3A class which is Rs. 180, add that to the 50% of the fare rate, plus the service charge and service tax. Once you have the levied charges, subtract it with the cost of the ticket proper. Then you'd have the refund amount that you would be getting when you cancel your Suvidha train ticket.

Conclusion

There you have it, a detailed guide on the refund rules and refund amounts for the Indian Railways ticket. So remember, for confirmed tickets, you can only cancel it up to four hours prior to the scheduled departure of the train. For the waitlisted, RAC or even the partially confirmed tickets, you can cancel them up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the train. For the special Suvidha train ticket, you can only cancel it up to six hours prior to the scheduled departure of the train. You won't only add in the clerk charges or the fare deductions (if necessary), you also need to add in the service charges and service taxes, in order to get the full cancellation charges amount.

I hope this helps you!:)