1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anjuna Flea Market

Discussion in 'Goa' started by Rayne, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I love to visit flea markets. It's the best place to get a true taste of the culture of a country in my opinion. I thought it interesting that the Anjuna Flea Market was started by a bunch of hippies smoking big joints and selling Levi jeans. It has evolved however, into a huge flea market that offers everything from souvenirs to clothing to food. I would love to go here. Has anyone ever been?

2. Prits

Prits Member

Whether you are someone who likes shopping or not, going to Anjuna Flea Market is quite an experience in itself. You will get to see the different things which come from across India to be sold there, from Kashmir, Gujarat, Kerala. With time the number of products sold there has increased and you can find things from clothing, trinket boxes, souvenirs, spices etc.

The market is open only once a week on Wednesdays from 9 am to 7 pm. It is either best to go early morning or later evening a couple of hours before the market closes.

For entertainment, there is also live music playing which makes the shopping experience even more enjoyable.

It is mostly tourists who visit the Anjuna Flea Market, and you can easily get ripped off by being over charged, so you have to bargain and its always best to start with half of the product price (that's what I did)

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Anjuna_flea_market_on_Wednesday_November_7,_2012.jpg

Image Source: Wikipedia.

This is where foreign tourists sell their used items and get something local. It is a place for them too, to fill up their coffers when they go empty. Not all foreign tourists come with loads of money and what better way than to sell their used items which attract Indians. These items are there for a song which otherwise would cost a bomb.
    Having said that the flea market for the purpose that it started has lost its meaning as many Indians sell their wares brought from all over the country.