1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Particular Times To Avoid Travel?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by amelia88, Feb 21, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm wondering if there are any particular times to avoid traveling in India - not just with seasons and weather, but with certain events.

The reason I ask this is once on a trip to Japan I travelled during "Golden Week" which is basically a week of public holidays - everyone is off work and trying to get around is a nightmare - public transport is packed, the roads are congested, and it just makes for a rough and stressful travel experience!

Are there any times in India where you might suggest it's not a good idea to travel because of certain busy events or holidays?

2. JoJo

JoJo New Member

Check with your travel agent and see if there is anything going on in the place you wish to visit. I would also definitely avoid monsoon season unless you just enjoy being wet all the time.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Capital New Delhi is blocked right now due to protesters blocking all major roads and railway tracks. Most cities in Haryana are under siege.. Army has been called in but couldn't get into few places due to road blocks so they have been air dropped.

Keep a track of local news to make sure you don't get caught in one of these situations.

Monsoon is another thing I would personally avoid and Summers are not pleasent in plains.

amelia88 likes this.
  4. integrity101

integrity101 Member

It is important to do due diligence when planning your trip by learning about the current political or cultural events taking place in the city you intend to visit. It is not wise to visit during major political events such as elections or strikes by public servants. Otherwise, India is a great country to visit all year round, with the exception of the monsoon season.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would stay away during the monsoon. Actually, a lot of the holidays are the time to visit India, since thee festivities are something else. I had a GF who had gone to the color festivals, and her pictures were amazing. That is something I would have loved to experience. It might take a bit of research since there are so many different rituals, holidays and festivals, but there are some that you might not want to miss. If it is a concern, I would recommend speaking with an agent. They will get you the information you need.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've always been a bit of a "do it myself" travel planner, but I think maybe in the case of this trip it might be easier to consult with an agent like you said. Having someone with expertise would definitely take a lot of stress off my plate and just leave me to get excited about my vacation! :)

7. xTinx

xTinx Member

The perfect time to travel in India would ultimately depend on your itinerary. Take note of the places you intend to visit and research about their respective weather conditions. India's a large country so it would have more than one type of climate from North to South, East to West.

8. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Also, I just want to add you don't have to speak with an agent. The Indian chamber of tourism will be happy to provide information, and probably has a lot of pdfs or other resources to help plan. A lot of people don't consider what the local governments already have in the way of help, but it can be a big benefit in planning and arranging a trip. Often, you can even get lists of trusted businesses and guides, which can be very helpful when avoiding scams.

amelia88 likes this.
  9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I wouldn't have even thought of local government tourism advice, but that's a brilliant idea! I'm imagining local areas want to promote tourism for their economies, so it makes sense that they would have information and advice. Awesome suggestion!

10. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

A great rule of thumb is never go on a weekend as much as possible if you don't like packed public transportation. Holidays pretty much suck too Christmas and New Years are the worse and that includes Valentines day even if it's not a real "no-work" holiday. Chinese New Year in Asian countries is also jam-packed due to multiple events and mini-celebrations.

amelia88 likes this.
  11. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Monsoon season is a big no no for travellers, especially those coming to get a glimpse of Urban and suburban India. Not only is this the breeding season of the deadly critters like mosquitoes and flies, but on days with particularly heavy rainfall, the suburbs look like rivers due to water clogging. Also, as @Chahal said, following the local news definitely helps. Because those political marches nad 'Bandhs' (closure of everything, from transport to shops) are nasty businesses.