1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are There Places That Should Be Avoided In India?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by JManara, Jan 30, 2016.

1. JManara

JManara Member

Are there places in India that should be avoided? By avoidance I mean places that are too dangerous or off-limits to most tourists. I have heard that beautiful Nicobar Island is off limits to tourists.

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I am not sure as I am yet to visit India, but in general, try to always avoid dark looking places and try to avoid going out alone too late at night.

3. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I believe every country has places to avoid visiting. If you want to go out at night I’m sure it’s safe there. If you look around and don’t see other tourists in some places you’re walking this might be a good indication to avoid these areas.

4. Jenny

Jenny Guest

I really don't think you can be too careful. A reputable qualified guide would be worth the money in order to stay out of the places we shouldn't go. And never travel alone.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I didn't know that about Nicobar - I actually had to look it up to see what was allowed. Here's what I found, from Lonely Planet regarding Andaman and Nicobar:

While the archipelago comprises some 300 islands, only a dozen or so are open to tourists, Havelock by far being the most popular for its beaches and diving. The Nicobars are strictly off limits to tourists, as are the tribal areas.

6. Kristie

Kristie New Member

The safest thing to do is, if you can, to always be with people when you go out at night. If you are traveling alone, avoid dodgy looking streets and areas.

7. Ted

Ted New Member

I agree with Jenny. I think if you have a tour guide with you, you should be safe enough because he or she will know local places better than anyone else. I am not sure how much it costs to hire a tour guide, but I think it is well worth it.

8. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I am not very sure, but I don't think that hiring a tour guide would be so expensive. And even if it is a bit pricey, it is worth being safe.

9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

The answer is yes, but this is so for every country. The US is generally safe, but there are areas of every city you will want to avoid. There are very dangerous areas, worse if you are of a certain race. I would never go to Hilltop in Tacoma, Washington. And, that isn't even the worst. Obviously, places of extreme poverty in large cities will have danger. But it is unlikely you would stumble into them, since they are not tourist destinations.

10. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I've read that Daman is not a good place to visit in India anymore. It has been polluted, black beach with broken bottles all around. It has definitely changed from what it used to be. It's best to avoid this place since it's not worth your time anymore.

I've also read that Gurgaon in Haryana is another place to be avoided. It has the reputation as an unsafe place for travellers. Several incidents of rape, abduction, molestation and crimes against women have been reported here. So it's safer for travellers, especially women, to avoid this place.

Good luck and enjoy travelling!

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

As far as the beaches go, there is nothing better than South Goa. No point in hitting other spots unless you are locked to a different part of the country. The beaches of Goa are beautiful, and going South means fewer people. They are pristine. By far the better option than Daman.

12. integrity101

integrity101 Member

Best advice is to travel in groups. Many bad incidences happen to people traveling alone. Above all, use your own judgment or intuition when planning your itinerary. If you are traveling alone, take necessary precautions especially in large cities such as Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and Bangalore. I don't mean to label big cities as unsafe but simply stating that, just like in your hometown, play safe too while in India.