1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesser Known Places That I Should Visit?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Strykstar, Mar 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Strykstar

Strykstar New Member

We all know about he most common places to visit in India, like New Delhi, Taj Mahal (of course), Amber Fort, etc.
    But what are some lesser known interesting places to visit that most tourists don't think of seeing?

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Not just 1, 2 or 10, you have got as many as 101 lesser known places to visit in India here - 101 'must-see' Offbeat Destinations In India. Hope it helps.

That's not all though, there are a lot more that India offers to the offbeat tourists. A little research on the web could bring you another 101, if not more, amazing places to visit in India.

Regards,
    Deb

Talking Monkey likes this.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Something else, is to find a nice and quiet bed and breakfast to stay a month. This gives you time to really soak up the local culture and experience life in India. If you spent some free time writing, you could even turn out a book. That is something people would want to read.

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Fifteenth or so country by the area and second by population surely has something else to offer. More than 101 of course. Probably closer to 1001 because there are people who like wilderness like me. I really enjoy the outdoor life and I always look forward to see some new landscape and scenery that is breath taking (at least to me), like waterfalls, springs, volcanoes and my favourite, rivers. I am a great river lover and where ever I go I take some time to walk/run on the river bank. I like the life around rivers and I believe India has great deal of them so my guess that beside general sight seeing there is a lot more to see in India.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Here are some lesser known places I would also love to visit in India:
    • Ananthapura Lake Temple. This temple has the so-called "vegetarian crocodile." It is said that this crocodile is the guardian of the temple and has been living for about 150 years now.
    • Thoseghar Falls. It's best to visit this place with a companion and during good weather conditions. It is one of the lesser known falls around India.
    • Mawlynnong Village. This place is known as the "Cleanest Place in India." The place s very tranquil and serene which makes it perfect for couples or families.
    • Ganapatipule Beach. If you're craving for some beach swimming but wants to do so without the crowded feel, then this beach is for you.
    Good luck!

Talking Monkey and Admin like this.
  6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

India is the 7th largest country in the world.

7. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

It was a lucky guess or should I say unlucky. I actually thought that there are more than 6 countries that are bigger than India by area. My geography is bit rusted but I know for sure, even more now, that there are many beautiful places of the beaten track.

8. integrity101

integrity101 Member

I have heard wonderful stories about some lesser known historical destinations such as Kurnool, Seemandhra which is home to magnificent temples and a wildlife sanctuary. The best time to visit is in the cool months between November and February. If you are the adventurous type you can explore the Siju Caves which are believed to be the longest (or is it deepest) caves in India. Rural India has a lot to offer too.

9. rajesh

rajesh Member

There are many wonderful places in India which are underrated. Among many wonderful places , I have visited 3 of them.

Tarkarli, Maharashtra - The tarkari beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I have visited this place and the one world that comes in my mind when I remember the scene is 'awesome'.

Keibul Lamjao on Loktak Lake, Manipur - Do you know something about this one? It's actually a floating park! and this place is the home to the species of deer known as Sangai Deer. Actually, I was amazed when I went to this place for the first time.

Lonar Crater, Maharashtra - This place is somewhat special for science enthusiast. Actually, Loner crater is the name of a lake which was formed due to a meteor strike on earth!

10. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

I just searched for it and it looks absolutely amazing. If I get a chance to visit India again this is going to be on top of my list. Loved the pictures I found on Google :

loktak-lake.jpg

11. rajesh

rajesh Member

You are amazed, huh! I know, many few people are aware about this wonderful place in India. You should also refer this place to your friends! I would be glad if you will help me making people aware about this wonderful place in India.

12. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

I sure will, thanks.

13. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Yes, as much as tourist destinations are good, with the places catering especially to tourists, the most memorable places you can go to while traveling are the lesser known areas, because they are usually less crowded, less trash around, less noise, and all in all, a more peaceful experience where you can just take in the scenery. The best people you can ask are actually the locals themselves; befriend them and they will probably give you a recommendation to a local favorite, and that's when knowing the language and being a people person would benefit you the most.