1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assume I Am A Starving Student On A Budget That Can't Even Support Ramen Noodles

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by taki, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taki

taki New Member

With that said, where should I be looking for lodging arrangements for a 1-3 month stay in India.

I'm not down with hanging out in the slums or with the bedbugs either, a girl has her standards you know.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Amritsar golden temple I guess, you won't need money for food as they serve food there for free all day and night. You can stay there as well for a few days not I don't think they would let you stay more then 3-4 days for free.

oportosanto likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I don't know if the option is there in India, but I had a friend stay at a yoga retreat (this was in Malaysia) for a week and it was just on a donation basis. They served food as well, but there was yoga practice involved and I think a big part of it was silent meditation! Not sure if that would be up your alley but the roof over your head and food side of things would be covered!

4. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I had a friend stay at a boys orphanage. It was very clean and she was able to stay there in exchange for teaching students English a few hours a day. Do you want to offer you services? It seems like a great trade and no one is out to con you!

5. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

Now this is something very interesting, there is actually where we can stay for free and they serve food the whole day? Why would they do that, is it a charity? Either cases, it's certainly something that we can take advantage of if we really don't have any money.

6. Robert TIganetea

Robert TIganetea New Member

I suggest you try looking into couch surfing. Basically, you pay someone a small amount to sleep on their couch. I really like to do couch surfing because you get to meet new and interesting people, who are always happy to share amazing stories and even make you delicious meals if you are friendly.

7. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Cheapest way is to get in touch with relatives or friends of friends who can hook you up at their place in India-- the benefit of which is new friends and people you can trust (probably). Get some contacts from your embassy as well maybe they can help you out with some locals. You can also try house exchange or airbnb but I haven't personally tried it yet so I wouldn't know how much it costs. Ask around about accomodations in temples or religious missions too they usually need a lot of volunteers in exchange for a place to stay, you will also be doing them a good deed.

8. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

I agree that Couchsurfing is a great way to see the world on a budget, but as far as I know it shouldn't cost you anything. Have people charged you to stay with them?

9. mamanana

mamanana New Member

I've never done it but I would assume that lots of people do...are there any Facebook groups or similar for people looking to find other people who are offering a couch/spare bed?

10. copicgo

copicgo New Member

Couch surfing is a terrific idea! It's super popular in America, and I've heard of people traveling all over the country doing that. It's cheaper than hotels, but it is a bit riskier... As long as you do your research regarding who you're going to be staying with, it would be a much more enjoyable experience than shelling out a couple dollars for a cheap slum hotel.

11. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 New Member

I'm also planning an extended trip across India. You may want to check into hostels. They are much cheaper and you can meet other backpackers and budget travelers from all over the world to share information with and get advice from. You'll even find travel partners and friends that you keep in touch with after you leave. Does anyone recommend any hostels or guest houses?

12. Mindy

Mindy Member

I don't think I would be travelling at all if I couldn't afford Ramen noodles. I also don't think I would want to stay in the cheapest place there is, either. If I were a parent, I wouldn't let my child go if they couldn't afford to stay somewhere decent.

13. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Honestly, for that length of time you should look into some sort of an exchange program. Or, you could see about working with a local university. You might be able to get reduced costs for accommodations for English language services. I would also check airbnb, since they also offer rentals for extended periods. If you could find two more people, I think you could afford a very nice place for that length of time.

14. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Here are my suggestions for you:

1. Short-term Room Rentals. You basically rent a room out of someone's house or apartment. There are tons of websites that allow you to see such rentals all around the world.

2. Lodging by Religious Organisations. Typically, such religious monasteries offer a more affordable price for accommodating you.

3. Schools or Colleges. Some academic institutions offer a room and a bathroom for some tourists for a very affordable price.

Good luck!

15. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I hate to say it but I think you might be out of luck. Lodging was pretty expensive when we traveled there and even after going cheap it was about half of our entire budget. I am sure that there are options, though, and my best advice would be to do your research and contact a travel agent.

16. You have no option but to knock on the doors of people and hope they take you in out of goodwill. But that happening is very difficult since there are a lot of homeless people on the streets in India and people will mostly ignore them. Having said that I must say it is very peculiar question: even assuming you are from a difficult place here for a better life why do you want to stay only for 3 months?

17. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

Someone else mentioned couch surfing, and that's probably your best option. It's also a good way to get to know people who can help you find your way around.

18. tabby

tabby Member

Put that way, it will be difficult for you I think especially assuming if you are not up to sharing with other people. With your kind of premise, the best thing is to really be in touch with a local family who can provide you with accommodations. You can look into volunteer programs that will allow you to stay for free and even get free meals in exchange for a service such as teaching English to a local community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.