1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding Illness

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by tomservo, Jan 23, 2016.

1. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. A few years ago, my friend moved to India after college. He was a native U.S. citizen. After a few weeks, he became deathly ill and have to move back to the states. Aside from getting the right shots, are there any other things you can do to avoid illness as a U.S. traveler?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I believe it's the street food which is a big risk so avoid eating at stalls on streets and always drink bottled water. I live in India and have lived here most of my life but I don't eat at such places and carry my own water where ever I go. That's all really and I never touch door handles or railings and always keep an alchol based hand sanitizer with me that I use before I eat.

amelia88 likes this.

3. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Chalal, thanks for the tips! That all makes sense. I do remember my friend mentioning that he was eating a lot of random food when he went there, so maybe that's why he got so sick. I will definitely keep all of that in mind!

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I guess taking Vitamin C can boost your immunity as well. It can keep you safe from flus and colds as well. Always, always carry a sanitiser in your bag as it can help you prevent lots of diseases if you constantly sanitise your hands. If you want to save some money, boiling tap water is an efficient way to purify it. Or you can buy one of those water purifiers, we use one at home and it's a good way to save money in the long run.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Going along with the "don't drink tap water" thing, also be careful for things like salads that may have been washed in water that you're not used to, and same as ice cubes! Any time I travel I only drink bottled drinks rather than anything in a restaurant/café that they pour into a glass and serve over ice for me...just not worth the risk, the last thing I want is to ruin a beautiful vacation with getting super sick!

6. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Thanks for the great advice! Boy, water is everywhere, huh? Haha. I wouldn't have thought about ice cubes and salads. Bottled water it is!

7. paudu

paudu Member

I always drink tea, assuming that since the water is heated first, it is safe to drink. I hope that continues to be true for me.

8. tomservo

tomservo New Member

That makes sense. I assume the same would applied to coffee and other brewed beverages, and of course, let's not forgot beer :)

9. copicgo

copicgo New Member

First thing's first: get your shots! (I know you already mentioned it, but this applies to anyone just now reading this.)

Second, utilize common sense that you'd use in your own country. Wash your hands after using public restrooms or handling anything that might be "dirty". Keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer on you at all times. Try not to get yourself caught touching door handles (use your feet to pry doors open, if you can).

Third, read up! There will be foods and other intricacies in India that your body will not be accustomed to that might make you sick. Read up on the foods you'll be consuming, and keep a list of the foods you should avoid due to allergies and the like.

Fourth, keep medicine on you during your travels. Aspirin, cough medicine, and anything else that could benefit you from viruses and nasty illnesses.

Hope this helps!

10. gerbera

gerbera New Member

I think the warning about eating street foods applies to a lot of vacation places. I would definitely make sure I had my hepatitis shots up to date as well. The last thing you want is to end up in the hospital.

11. paudu

paudu Member

That's what my husband says, and he always drinks beer when we travel. I tried to tell him that people don't drink much alcohol in India, and then he reminded me he's been drinking Kingfisher and Taj Mahal beers here in the US for years. So I can't argue that there's no beer in India!

12. Isafab

Isafab New Member

It looks like most people are using common sense and that's good. Talk to your doctor about what you should bring with you "just in case", and make sure you have any required vaccinations. My uncle used to do crazy stuff like eat yogurt every day when he traveled to a foreign country, and he swore he never got sick. I think that is a little too risky for me.

13. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Take boil water, avoid street foods and have proper clothes according to the season like warm clothes for winter.

14. Isafab

Isafab New Member

That's a good point that people don't often consider. The proper clothing is important not only for comfort but also for health. Protect yourself from heatstroke and sunburn by wearing a hat and light breathable layers during the hot months.

15. swalia

swalia Guest

Avoid eating street food. If you want to taste the local dishes then opt for a good restaurant with proper standard of hygiene. Drink only mineral water and avoid using public washrooms.

16. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

Make sure the restaurant you're eating at is clean and be sure to go to your local doctors and ask what shots you should take before you travel to India.

17. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Thanks again, everybody, for all this great information! I will take all of these things into consideration when I take my trip. Best of luck to all of you, as well!

18. Kyle

Kyle New Member

What exactly happened to your friend? Did he get food poisoning or did he catch a virus? Did he have any vaccines before going to India?

19. Rita P

Rita P New Member

Water is the usual culprit when it comes to illnesses in India, Make it a point to carry your own bottle of mineral or purified water and never drink water that is served in restaurants and places that you might be visiting. Bottled water is available everywhere and is not very expensive.

20. Salman

Salman New Member

Avoid the rainy season because that is the time when viral diseases spread in the area. If you want to visit India the best time is October to March, i.e. during the winter season. Carrying bottled water is also important since tap water is not good to drink.

21. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Food can also be a carrier of illnesses if you eat food from vendors outside. In the summer heat food tends to go bad very fast and many of these vendors might use old ingredients in their dishes which can cause food poisoning.

22. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

You mentioned about this and I think it's great advice. You really have to have your own medicines at hand. I always have some ibuprofen whenever we travel since migraine and headache attacks always happen to me. Then, I also have some stomach medicine for when my digestive system suddenly acts up. You know when we travel, we tend to eat and experiment with different foods and having that medicine is quite important.