1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpack Or Suitcase?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Bayleaf, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Bayleaf

Bayleaf New Member

Which would seasoned travellers to India recommend? Personally I usually avoid backpacks as they don't seem very safe, plus they make my back too hot, but I'm thinking it must be hard to navigate a suitcase through busy areas.

2. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 New Member

I'd really hate to see you with a hot back!! I know that is the worst! But, unless you are take a taxi from the airport to your hotel and leave your luggage there and don't plan to do any train or bus traveling, then I suggest the backpack. You can always leave it in your hotel, guesthouse, or hostel while you walk around the city, just make sure your valuables are in a safe place. Where in India are you planning to go?

3. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

For me the convenience of having both is suitable. I have a suitcase that I travel with and keep all the things I need to take with me on a trip. But I also carry a backpack to take out with me on a night out into town.

4. Sharon

Sharon New Member

For a long trip, I would suggest several suitcases that stay in your hotel room. Then you can carry a backpack or just keep daily belongings in your pockets.

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf New Member

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I have an across body bag for daily items and valuables I have to keep handy, it is the logistical side of dragging suitcases around that was my concern. I plan to fly into Delhi, and then head to Agra. I don't have a problem with hiring a car and driver if that will make getting about easier.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always base it on how long I'm going to be gone. I find longer trips generally warrant a suitcase, since I can fit more into it weight wise than what I could carry. But on shorter trips I've always just taken a backpack, as it's been so much easier to move around with. Lugging a suitcase can be tough, particularly in certain countries where paved roads aren't always there! Trying to wheel a suitcase along a muddy unpaved path would be really tough - so a backpack to me is a lot easier in many cases.

7. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Well it really depends here. Are you travelling for 3 days or a week? Are you going to the mountains or just in the city? Do you have back pains or not? Are you booked in a place with security or are you just couch surfing somewhere? Backpacks are great if you're on a wild life trip but if you're in India for some city or night life action and you're booked in a hotel then I suggest you bring a suitcase.

8. Dune Dude

Dune Dude New Member

How about packing your backpack into your suitcase? Then you can have both and decide later. Or, what about using a backpack for your carry-on luggage?

9. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Bayleaf, what do you mean that it is the "logistical side" of lugging around a suitcase that you're concerned with? Do you mean initially, when you first get off the plane, or in general while vacationing? Because I would take it straight to the hotel and leave it there.

10. Sammie

Sammie Member

If you are going from hotel to hotel and staying in a lot of places then taking suitcases will mean lugging them from hotel to hotel. I think it depends on how much you take in your suitcase. If you are staying a long time and have to bring two suitcases then the stuff won't fit in a backpack.

11. Aidan

Aidan New Member

I normally take both. I have a suitcase that has a code lock that I can leave where I am staying, then I have a backpack to carry with me when I go out.

12. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Personally, I have both a suitcase and a backpack. The suitcase is for my personal belongings that I cannot bring when I'm on the road. This includes clothes, toiletries and such things. It is also easier to have all things in just one suitcase than have to bring two or three bags. The backpack or even a body bag, is just for when I'm on the road and travelling. I leave the suitcase on the hotel and bring the backpack with me when I go outside.

13. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

For me both are suitable

14. Devina

Devina New Member

Both options are good, it all depends on personal preference and the amount of luggage you will have with you. I suppose it is normal but would still suggest it that taking a small backpack would be good; it would come in handy if you would be going sightseeing etc.

15. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Backpack comes more handy when you are traveling to India. For safety issue, please lock your backpack with padlock, other wise things inside your backpack might be stolen. Unless you are in a business trip and will only visit cities like Delhi and Mumbai, never carry a suitcase in India.

16. Tamboa

Tamboa New Member

I'm glad I read through this thread. Instead of bringing a small backpack and a huge suitcase I have rethought the whole thing and now will bring just a large backpack. Anything I need for walking around town can go into clothing pockets.