1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beach Etiquettes in India?

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Cookie, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member

I was wondering if there is any kind of etiquette or things I should know when it comes to Indian beaches? Is it okay to wear just a bikini or do we have to dress modestly? Sorry if this sounds really ignorant but I have no idea and wouldn't want to do anything that offended people.

2. Amelie

Amelie New Member

It depends on the area you're going to. If it's a place that's frequented by a lot of westerners, then wearing a bikini is perfectly acceptable, although you have to make sure that you don't wear this outside of the premises. In places that are mostly visited by locals, you may want to keep that bikini inside your suitcase, sorry. :)

3. Rye

Rye New Member

You could always buy a modest one piece bathing suit and a beach wrap to wear around. I believe some of the locals wear western type swimsuits to the beaches. Look at pictures of the beaches online and you will be able to see what the usual beach attire is.

amelia88 likes this.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

I would buy a modest suit as Rye suggested and bring a wrap just in case. If wearing a two-piece is really important to you, though, at least bring the wrap along in case it turns out you need to cover up.

5. RBean

RBean New Member

Yes, the wrap is a great idea. You probably won't know until you get to the beach whether the people are wearing one piece or bikinis. Maybe someone from India will comment here so that we can all find out.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think I would do this in India even if I was at a beach where a lot of westerners frequented - mainly because I think it would be neat getting a sari type wrap there and then using that as a cover for my swimsuit! It's a good way to treat yourself to an extra souvenir! :)

7. Cookie

Cookie Member

That is a VERY good idea Amelia! Any excuse for some shopping! :D I'm always a bit unsure about etiquette stuff, especially when you see stories in the news about people being jailed in Dubai for 'being romantic' on the beach or some other activity that would be ignored here but is seen differently in another culture. (I know Dubai is quite different to India, but I don't know where has 'rules' and where doesn't!) Oh, and not that I'm planning to 'be romantic' or anything! o_O

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh yes - I've read about stories like that in the news too, and I think that's part of why I always like reading up on culture and customs before I visit a new place. I always think it's better to err on the side of caution - usually I'll try my best to dress as the locals do, and if I see them covering up a lot then I will too! Just makes for an easier travel experience in my opinion!

9. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

I agree with Amelia, it's best to dress as the locals do so you won't attract unwanted attention to yourself. India is a conservative country, I'm not sure about the rules regarding this issue but it's better to be in our best behavior :)

10. iseeyou

iseeyou New Member

Personally If i'm unsure of what the proper beach etiquette of a foreign country, just to be safe, I'd go for something modest. You can wear one piece or a two piece but wear short shorts over your swimsuit or like some suggested, a wrap is a really good idea, you don't want to offend the locals.

11. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

As a rule, always be modest. But if you really want to risk it you can always bring a conservative piece as well as a much more revealing one then when you go to the beach feel out what the women there are wearing. If they're wearing a two-piece then you're fine but if they're all covered up then do as the Romans do and cover up!

Admin likes this.
  12. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

I agree, I think wearing some sort of wrap over your suit would be best, and to opt for a more modest suit over a bikini styled one just to avoid offending anyone, just in case. It's often better to be safe than to be sorry, especially since wearing a bikini is such a minor thing in comparison to offending locals and being respectful.

13. dane

dane New Member

Are there beaches where locals themselves feel more relaxed and open or is this across all of india's coastline?

14. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

Would it be appropriate to wear a swimsuit with a wrap off the beach premises? I would be concerned about offending anyone as well. How about clubs or nightlife in India? I think I have assumed India, while conservative, is much like America. And I need a clearer picture of how socially conservative India is.

15. dane

dane New Member

I really had no idea India was this strict, for a place that is a Mecca for hippies it seems awfully conservative! Is this due to teachings of Hinduism? apologies I'm terribly ignorant of the teachings of this religion.