1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beauty Treatments/products Popular In India?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by amelia88, Apr 10, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

One thing I always find fun on vacations is getting to shop for cosmetics in the countries I visit! I guess I just enjoy fun make up and even skincare products...I found Japan and Korea especially had awesome stuff like face masks and eyeliners.

So it got me thinking, since India is the next place on my list that I plan to visit, what kinds of cosmetics are popular there? Any kinds of brands or products that anyone would recommend?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I was in Chennai and saw several people selling a product like thanaka which comes from Myanmar. It is a sort of plant pulp cream which people wear almost like sunscreen. It keeps the skin moisturized, healthy, and can be a fashion statement. I don't know how rare it is, but I saw it in the markets.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

"Himalaya" is a major brand whose products sell in US as well but at four-five times the price we pay here in India for the same product, produced in the same facility with same ingredients. Check prices for their products on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk and then compare the prices on Himalayastore.com which is their website that sells products online in India. You will find a huge difference. I have friends in USA who use Himalaya products especially their ashwagandha tablets (it is an adaptogen herb) and I send them by post every few months. They have cosmetics as well which are pure herbal stuff that you may be interested in and they all comply with USFDA standards.

amelia88 likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Admin thanks so much for the recommendations! I just had a look at the Himalaya store website and did the currency conversion in comparison to what was on Amazon, and they're definitely marking it up quite a lot on Amazon...still reasonable, but I could get it for waaaaay cheaper in India if the prices in stores are the same as on the website. I'm already making a bit of a mental list of the things I want to buy - they have a lemon face wash that sounds like it would be nice and refreshing and some exfoliating scrubs. There was also a face pack I saw that contains neem - I had to read more on their website about it, but I'm curious to try that since it's a natural ingredient I hadn't heard of before! :)

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

@amelia88

Prices of products in India are the same across the country, it is a legal requirement to have the price of every product to be printed on the packaging. The prices that are printed include all the taxes and shop's profit as well. A store can choose to sell at less than the printed price but they cannot charge anything above the printed price, if they do it can be challenged in court and you would get a bit of compensation as well.

Himalayastore website has a bit of discount for buying products online directly from the manufacturer and at chemist shops you will have to pay the "MRP" (Maximum retail price) as printed on packaging of those products.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Admin that's seriously awesome - I wish they had that on cosmetics and stuff here. Sometimes it is a gamble because you can go into some stores in certain areas here in the US and the prices would be what you expect, but other places that maybe are more "ritzy" tend to mark things up - probably to try and cover their overheads like building rental. But I love the fact that India has a maximum retail price printed on products - definitely makes it easier to not get ripped off!

7. juno

juno New Member

Anywhere in India sugar waxing and threading are popular in terms of treatments. I would recommend Ayurvedic products and treatments that originate from India. If you want to buy true Indian Skin Care products, then an old band is Shahnaz Housain. She has a 24kt gold skin radiance kit. Gold skin care kit seems to be a big thing out there.