1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What International Fast Food Chains Are Popular In India?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by OursIsTheFury, May 4, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

What fast food chains are really incredible in India? I'm curious at what you guys have there and what type of foreign food is the most in-demand there? McDonalds maybe? Wendy's? Krispy Kreme? What do you guys have there that cater to both the rich and the common people?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

I ate at a Smokin' Joes Pizza in Indiam i was surprised ro see it, it was a very good. I enjoyed itm ive aslo drank at a StarBucks and ive had McDonald's several times. I mostky enjoy eating at lical olaces when i travel. No point in having something i have eat at home.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

They have quite a lot. Carl's Jr. Wendy's, Sbarro, Subway. Pretty much all of the major chains have stores in India. After all, India is a massive market. It makes sense to expand there, since the economy is both growing and has great potential. The interesting thing are the local chains. Try Burgs and Box8.

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

That's interesting. I've always thought that culturally, it is frowned upon to partake on beef in India, so most of the meat there are chicken based. So I thought that it would create a limitation to what fast food chains and brands all over the world can offer and would have to change their menus afterwards. So that's not the case then? People can have a burger beef patty anywhere in India? Growing up I thought that they really change menus to adapt to the Indian culture, which is beef free and usually filled with lots of herbs and spices.

5. tabby

tabby Member

This is pretty good news to my ears! I'm not very adventurous with food. While I have it in my mindset to try local food each time I visite a new place, my taste bud is truly poor at adapting. I know it's likely nil to find Filipino cuisine there, but at least it's a comforting thought to know that the American chains such as Wendy's, Sbarro, Subway, etc. can come to the rescue any time.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, people can eat beef in India. In fact, it is my understanding that the low caste in India always had the ability to eat beef, and they were the ones tasked with disposing of the bodies of dead cows. They even wore leather products, which is another taboo. But that idea of not eating beef is a cultural practice which is not universal and is not even that old, considering India's long history.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd imagine that most people would feel the same if they're not keen on the local cuisines. Certain parts of India are becoming more and more of a tourist hotspot now, so there is a lot of western chains over there that you'll be able to eat from.

8. tabby

tabby Member

Really? I have always had this belief that eating beef is prohibited in India. Is that only a misconception then? It's been a long time, but if my Asian history classes in high school were correct, cows are regarded as holy in India. Thus, cows are really not raised in India for consumption purposes. In any case, this is truly an interesting bit of information.

9. tabby

tabby Member

I guess whichever country we all visit, India including, we'll see the product of globalization. Those trade agreements among countries are really paying off with the rise and presence of foreign chains to local shores.
    With India's huge population, I could understand why foreign corporations would include India as part of their overseas expansion plans.

pwarbi likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I still think that part of the world is considered untapped potential still, and while the western chains are slowly expanding over into India, there's still a lot of culture still left to enjoy for now.

Maybe one worry is that in a few years time, a lot of the culture of India could be lost in a sea of fast food and coffee shop chains.

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

One thing that I did think was pretty cool was the McDonalds menu for Indian stores. They have a whole bunch of cool sounding stuff that we don't have here, like the McAloo Tikki burger or the McCurry pan. I've been to a few different McDonald's stores around the world and always try to choose something unique from the menu - that way I don't feel so bad if I do choose to eat there!

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

To be honest I have to admit, I wasn't even aware that McDonald's did do different items on their menu that was unique to that particular country.

While I wouldn't mind trying a McAloo Tikki burger though, I might feel a bit foolish asking for it!

13. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I love that McDonald's always include a native specialty wherever country they are. The wide selection of native dishes will shame what we have here in the Philippines, which is a mere 'longganisa' meal. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why there is only one dish when we have so many they can create their own version from. Anyway, perhaps the fast food version of the Indian dishes would also help tourists to ease their tastebuds.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think you're right, and maybe eating a traditional local dish, but a fast food version could be an option just to at least try certain foods.

The cost of the fast food meals aren't generally that expensive either so even if you don't like what's being served, you've not wasted a lot of money.

15. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

You should try a lot of Chat Masala fast foods as they are very famous. Don't ever go on to buy the food that is available on the streets. It tastes very good but it can get you very sick. Most of these foods are available at good Most Fast Food Spots. Try Desi food, not something that is already available at your location. You should try Paani Puri, Gobi Manchuri, Vada Pav, Kachori and there are a lot of them and you should try to try most of them. Good Luck.

16. iseeyou

iseeyou New Member

I've skimmed through the thread and it's good to know some of the common favorite fast foods chains are easily accessible. There's no doubt i'll also try India's dishes, and I've tried some and it's really good, my tastebuds totally approved, but I'd like to try more of their local dishes. India seems to be adventurous in their cuisines and would really love to call some of their dishes as one of my favorites.

17. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

That is why they are so worldwide spread with so much success. Not only they export what they are good at, but they also have the capacity to blend with the local culture and use local products. Everyone eats a Mcdonalds every now and again.

mcdonalds-india.jpg

18. Fredy Mejia

Fredy Mejia New Member

McDonalds is one of the largest fast food chains around the world. There is currently at least 1 McDonalds in 118 countries worldwide. India has a great variety of foods in the local fast food chain McDonald's, India has one of the best vegetarian/vegan foods know to McDonald's menu. I've visited McDonald's in India at least twice and have not had a bad experience there compare to it ehe countries.

19. Normad

Normad New Member

Oh there's everything. Starbucks, McDonalds, all the main ones. Personally, when I get to India the last thing I want is a burger from McDonalds.