1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Chinese Restaurant in Kolkata

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lovell, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Lovell

Lovell New Member

During my stay in Kolkata, as well as doing some work I also want to indulge in the food there. I have heard that Kolkata has some great Chinese restaurants.

I want to know what is the best Chinese restaurant in Kolkata and where it is located. Some recommendations of the food served there would be a bonus.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Lovell! Welcome to the forum.:)

There are plenty of Chinese restaurants around Kolkata. Here is a list of the best restaurants in the area though with their specialties:

1. Tak Heng - This restaurant has Chinese and Thai cuisines. They also have home delivery for customers. They are well-known for their old school Chinese preparation of chimney soup. The restaurant was managed by a member of the family who runs Tung Nam, a well-known Chinese restaurant from the Old Chinatown of Kolkata. As a result, some of the dishes here originated from the the Tung Nam Restaurant as well. No additives like MSG or colours are added to dishes, which give it the authentic Chinese taste that most customers love.
    • Address - P524, Raja Basanta Ray Road, Near Thyagaraj Hall, Southern Avenue, Kolkata.
    • Contact Numbers - 033 40647400 or 033 40608400.
    • Must Try Dishes - Pork wonton soup, roast pork chilli, chimney soup and mixed hakka noodles.
    2. Chowman - They have Chinese cuisine with an assortment of seafood dishes. They are well-known for their elegant decor and intimate ambience along with the scrumptious food served. All their dishes are tasty but are not loaded on MSG or salt. They're incredibly light but filling on the stomach. The restaurant also has other branches in Kolkata aside from the one in Ballygunge.
    • Address - 99, Ballygunge Place, Ballygunge, Kolkata.
    • Contact Number - 033 30990586.
    • Must Try Dishes - Pepper garlic chicken, mixed fried rice and hot garlic fish.
    3. BarBQ - They have Chinese and North Indian cuisines. The restaurant is just two minutes away from the Park Street Metro Station. It has a huge seating capacity but make sure you go early during the weekends as it can get very crowded. They also have a full bar available for those who want to enjoy a drink or two.
    • Address - 43-47-55, Park Street Area, Kolkata.
    • Contact Number - 033 22299345.
    • Must Try Dishes - Devil's chicken, kung pao chicken and konjee crispy chicken.
    4. Mainland China - This restaurant only has Chinese cuisine. They are well-known for their Chinese flavours that truly have a 'different' tantalizing effect on the taste buds. They also have a buffet section if you'd like to sample their different dishes. It's also one of the most popular restaurants in Kolkata so be prepared to wait for a few minutes before being seated, especially during weekends and holidays.
    • Address - 3rd Floor, South City Mall, 375, Prince Anwar Shah Road, Kolkata.
    • Contact Number - 033 30990420.
    • Must Try Dishes - General Tao's favourite chicken, golden king fried prawn and chicken fried rice.
    5. Beijing - They have authentic Chinese cuisine as their name suggests. It's one of the oldest and most popular Chinese restaurants within Kolkata. Their dishes are also quite affordable as compared to other Chinese restaurants. Don't let the simple ambience fool you, as they have more to offer when it comes to food.
    • Address - 77/1, Christopher Road, Tangra, Kolkata.
    • Contact Numbers - 033 23281011 or 033 23283998.
    • Must Try Dishes - Golden fried prawn, chicken rice noodles and chilli garlic chicken.
    6. Tung Fong - They have Asian and Chinese cuisines. It is well-known for its dome ceiling with cove lights that make you feel like you're really in China. Their dishes are also well-known for their authentic Chinese taste.
    • Address - Ground Floor, 25 B, Karnani Mansion, Free School Street, Park Street Area, Kolkata.
    • Contact Numbers - 033 22174969 or 033 22174989.
    • Must Try Dishes - Chilli garlic pepper fish, kung pao chicken, mixed hakka noodles and soya chilli chicken.
    7. Yauatcha - This is a luxury dining restaurant with Chinese and Asian cuisines. They have a variety of dumplings which all taste quite good. They also have a wide selection of yummy desserts. Do prepare some money beforehand as they're one of the more expensive restaurants in the area.
    • Address - Level 5, Quest Mall, 33, Syed Amir Ali Ave, Ballygunge, Kolkata.
    • Contact Numbers - 033 30990331.
    • Must Try Dishes - Ho fan noodles, fried turnip cake and crispy prawn cheung fun.
    I hope this helps.:)

3. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

I really liked Chowman. I found that the waiter was very friendly and the garlic fish was given in very generous portions. I went to eat there with business partners and they all enjoyed the experience. I think you really should try that place first.

4. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Mainland China on Gurusaday Road is certainly the best, but Chowman in Ballygunj place will not be far behind. You can also visit China Town in Tangra area where there is a small century old Chinese settlement and there you will find a few good family run restaurants who serve really great ethnic Chinese food. Do try China Town at least once.

Chahal likes this.
  5. vkar

vkar Member

I am not a big fan of Chinese food so I don't have much idea, but my cousin frequents Shinryu (Rajarhat) and swears by its food. Guess you can try it out. I hear Mainland China is another must try for Chinese food lovers.

6. Cwebster

Cwebster New Member

the Kim Ling Restaurant on South Tangra Road is well known there