1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Places For Henna?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by amelia88, Apr 10, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

One thing I think would be neat when I go to India is to get a henna tattoo. I'm too scared for a "real" tattoo (I just can't think of anything I would want etched onto my skin forever!) but I love the idea of henna being temporary.

Are there any particular regions of India that are particularly renowned for henna tattoos? Does anyone have any personal experience or recommendations for places to go, or how the experience was?

I'd love to hear a bit more about it!

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Just about every salon or beauty parlor can do henna, and will do a good job. But there is a market in South Delhi that specializes in henna, with many shops. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but it should be easy to look up. Also, be careful before you get a henna tattoo. Some people, especially westerners, can be allergic to the pigments in henna. So, if it is your first time, get a small sample before committing to a large one.

amelia88 likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@jnorth88 thank you for the tips! I didn't realize it was so prevalent that I could go to almost any beauty parlor and get it done! That makes it nice and convenient. Also, thank you for letting me know about the fact that some people can be allergic to the pigments - the last thing I would need on a nice relaxing vacation is an allergic reaction. I'll get them to do a small skin test before I commit to anything larger! :)

4. Destiny

Destiny Member

That depends on where you are going in India. During my last visit in Agra I stopped by this beautiful little parlor in Kalma Nagar and received the cutiest little henna tattoo from some very nice women. I sure do wish I could find a picture of it... I'm sure I have one somewhere but it was quite a few years ago.

But, as has already been said above any place you stop by will probably do a wonderful job.

5. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

Thanks for the information! It's true that you can get skin allergies due to henna tattoos, I recall getting one a couple years ago. It was just a small text tattoo in my arm and after a few hours it started to itch and my skin around the tattoo was reddish and started to swell and protrude. It was horrific, so I'm really hesitant to get any kind of tattoo right now. I highly recommend for you guys to get a skin test first just to be sure!!

6. Lisa

Lisa New Member

I got heena on both my hands when I was in Delhi from Lotus temple. You can find a few men and women sitting there who do heena for Rs 100-200 depending upon the design you choose.