1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Places to Visit in Pune

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by DeadMan, Jul 8, 2016.

1. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

I have a 3-day stay in Pune, and I would like to visit some of the popular places there.
    As my stay is very short, I will limit the places I would be visiting, so please list the best places to visit in Pune.

I will be traveling in a taxi, so reaching certain places would not be a problem, all I need is the list. Please avoid listing zoos and national parks.

Thanks, everyone.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Pune is sometimes referred to as the "Oxford of the East" mainly because there's lots of educational institutions in here. It is also the second largest city in the state of Maharashtra. Here's a list of the best places to visit in Pune:

Forts
    • Shivneri Fort. This is where Shivaji was born and it was also here where he trained to become the future ruler of the Maratha Kingdom. There is about 7 gates to reach the inside of the fort. There is a lake named Badami Talav inside the fort. A statue of Shivaji also stands tall beside the lake.
    • Rajgad Fort. This is about 4,600 feet high and you would need to trek a bit to reach it. At the top, you can find two temples inside the fort. Aside from that, some trekkers decide to rest for the night here. The views from the top are amazing especially during sunset and sunrise.
    • Sinhagad Fort. This was the site where Shivaji's son, Rajaram, died. It offers amazing views of the surrounding forest and waterfall.
    Palaces
    • Aga Khan Palace. This was built in 1982 as a place to see the view for the people of the town who suffer from famine. However, in 1942 to 1944, this palace served as a prison for Mahatma Gandhi, Kasturba Gandhi and Mahadev Bhai Desai.
    • Lal Mahal. This was built in 1643 AD by Dadaji, who is the father of Shivaji. It was built using red bricks which give it its bright red colour.
    Treks
    • Western Ghats. En route to its peak, you'll be mesmerised by its countless waterfalls, forests and valleys. It's a trekker's paradise really and one that you must experience in your life.
    • Parvati Hill. This is about 2,100 feet above sea level. You can find four temples here dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu, Ganesh and Kartikeya. It also has a museum which houses artefacts likes coins, weaponry and manuscripts.
    Museum
    • Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum. This is the second largest museum in India. There's about 21,000 collections of items here from various eras of India. It was Dr. Kelkar who built the museum and it was dedicated to the death of his son, Raja.
    I hope this helps!