1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Time to Visit Kerala

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by NimLakhani, Jun 27, 2016.

1. NimLakhani

NimLakhani New Member

I would like to plan a holiday to Kerala and need to know when the best time to visit would be. I think during the months of June, July, and August the weather would not be good, as there would be a lot of humidity and rain due to the monsoon season.

I don't know what it would be like during the winter months, so I would like some detailed advice.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The best time to visit Kerala actually depends on what activities you'd like to experience in the said place. You can choose the summer season, the rainy season or the winter season and have the best time in Kerala. Why? Because different seasons cater to different activities and places. I will just list the advantages of visiting during different seasons.

From March to May, this is considered the summer season in Kerala. During this time though, it's not unusual for the place to receive some rain still and be hot and humid. Thankfully, the winds from the Arabian Sea help cool off the tourists. During these months, it's best to visit Kerala for its beaches in Alleppey or Thiruvananthapuram. You can also visit the temples, churches, wildlife sanctuaries and museums in Wayanad.

The first monsoon season is from June to August and during this time, heavy to moderate rains happen in Kerala. The great thing about it is that it transforms the whole place into lush greenery and many say that this is one of the best times to visit Kerala. They say that Ayurvedic treatments are best done during this season because the body's pores open up due to the moist and cool weather.

Also, since it is monsoon season, you can find lots of discounts and packages as well. It is also during the month of August that the Snake Boat Race happens. Other festivities happen during July, the Splash Monsoon Carnival and Aanayottu Elephant Feeding Ritual. The Onam Festival happens during the end of August as well.

From September to first of October, it's best to do some hiking. It's the time between the two monsoon seasons in Kerala where raining has stopped. But it would be great to explore some mountains or hill stations just because everything is green and lush.

The second monsoon season is from mid-October to November. Rains happen as well although it is incessant and has bouts of sunshine in a day. This is the best time to visit waterfalls in Athirapally and Vazhachal. The Mattupetty Hill Station is also best visited during this time.

Now, lastly, from December to February, this is the winter season in Kerala and also the peak season for tourists. The weather remains cool and nice during this time that's why tourists flock to Kerala as well. I would recommend going for a houseboat cruise and enjoying the backwaters during this season. And you can basically do everything during this time, provided you are okay with crowds.

I hope this helps!

3. Kristin Perry

Kristin Perry New Member

Winter is the best season to visit Kerala. You can plan your trip in the month of Dec to Mar any time. Kerala is the god's own country and you can see the various beaches in Kerala.