1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Unique Fresh Fruit In India & Where To Find Them?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by tri-n-b-helpful, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

Can anyone tell me the best parts of India to travel where I can get quality, certified organic fresh whole fruit which is also in-season? Which time of year would be best to buy the biggest variety of fruit? Are there fruits that are only available in certain regions and which areas would be ideal for this; conversely, which areas are best avoided? Which fruits are unique to India

I'm asking because I've never been to India before, but will need to go there soon. I've been fruitarian for over a year now and I find I can avoid many illnesses other tourists seem to get from food (like "Delhi Belly"). I did this successfully for four weeks in different parts of China and I was amazed at the quality as well as cheap prices to be had, if one knows where to go.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

What grows in North India such as apples, citrus and cherries will be found in other countries that have cold weather. Same with strawberries which are predominantly grown in Western India - near Pune. South has some unique fruits such as mangoes and jackfruits. Both these fruits grow in summer and the best time to visit is May. Here is a collage of some fruits and other crops that grow in our garden. I live in South India

collage2.jpg

3. Aarav

Aarav New Member

Here's a guide to help you enjoy a fruitarian adventure in India!

Best Regions for Fresh, Certified Organic Fruits in India:

• Himachal Pradesh: This northern state is famous for its apples, plums, peaches, pears, and apricots. The Malana Valley in Himachal Pradesh is known for its pesticide-free Malana Cream hash, but it's illegal for consumption. However, the region itself is known for its beautiful scenery and fresh fruits.
    • Kerala: This south-western coastal state is known as "God's Own Country" for a reason. Kerala boasts a wide variety of tropical fruits like mangoes, bananas, pineapples, guavas, and rambutans.
    • Maharashtra: This western Indian state is a major producer of grapes, pomegranates, bananas, mangoes, and oranges.
    • Karnataka: Another south-western state, Karnataka is known for its oranges, grapes, bananas, mangoes, and coconuts.
    • Sikkim: This northern state nestled in the Himalayas is famous for its apples, kiwis, oranges, and peaches. Sikkim is also known for its commitment to organic farming.

Best Time of Year for Maximum Variety:

The best time to visit India for the most extensive variety of fruits depends on the region:

• North India (Himachal Pradesh & Sikkim): June to September for summer fruits like peaches, plums, and apricots. October to December for apples.
    • South India (Kerala & Karnataka): Throughout the year due to the tropical climate. However, peak season for mangoes is April to June, while rambutans are at their best in summer (March to May).
    Unique Fruits of India:

• Rambutan: This hairy fruit has a sweet, slightly acidic flavor and is related to the lychee.
    • Mangosteen: The "Queen of Fruits" has a white, fleshy interior with a mildly sweet and tangy flavor.
    • Jackfruit: The largest tree-borne fruit in the world, jackfruit has a meaty texture and a sweet, fruity flavor when ripe.
    • Sapodilla: Also known as chikoo, sapodilla has a brown, rough exterior and a sweet, black, jelly-like interior.
    • Starfruit: Shaped like a star when sliced, starfruit has a juicy, tart flavor.

Regions to Avoid:

While most of India is safe for travel, some areas may have limitations on finding organic produce. Larger cities may have a wider selection of organic stores, but smaller towns might have limited options.

Tips for Finding Organic Fruit:

• Look for government-certified organic stores, which typically display a logo from the National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP).
    • Visit farmers markets, where you can talk directly to vendors about their farming practices.
    • Stay at eco-friendly accommodations that may source organic produce for their meals.

Additional Information:

• Be aware of seasonal variations. While some fruits are available year-round in certain regions, others have specific harvest seasons.
    • India has a rich variety of regional fruits. Be adventurous and try new things!
    By following these tips, you can enjoy a delicious and healthy fruitarian adventure in India! Remember, it's always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet.