1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Vegetarian Or Vegan Food

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by djordjem87, Nov 17, 2015.

1. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Hello. I would like to know more about Indian food and in particular about vegetarian/vegan meals. I have been a vegetarian for couple of years now and would like to try and make some nice Indian meals. I do not know much about Indian kitchen and not being a fan of discovering those things over internet (recipe sites ) it is reasonable enough for me to as someone and get live feedback. I believe it is the best way after go somewhere , try food and talk with people and chefs. So any good vegetarian dish is welcome here. No need for recipes here, i made a thread for that already. Here , you can just post the dish, some photos and basic info.

2. NomadV

NomadV New Member

Hi djordjem87!

I'm not a vegetarian myself but I grew up in a neighbourhood where most of the inhabitants are Hindus of South Indian origin, so vegetarian food was easily available. One of the first recipes I learned from my Tamil neighbour was Thool Pakoda, crispy onion fritters. They're basically thinly sliced onions mixed with gram flour, rice flour and various spices and then deep fried. You can eat them as a snack or even with rice and curry.

Attached Files:

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Thank you very much for your post and for this picture. I will try to find some video about preparing this meal although it sounds very easy. I will be more than happy to make it and give it a taste. I was told that many Indian people are vegetarian and i wanted to check but i did not know that it has to do with being of South Indian origin. It is great though, if i come there it would be much easier to find something to eat. Here in Serbia is just so hard. Vegetarians are outnumbered by far.

NomadV likes this.
  4. NomadV

NomadV New Member

Actually, many Hindus are vegetarian, regardless whether they are of South or North Indian origin. It's just that I'm more familiar with Southern Indian cuisine :). There are different styles of cooking in every region in India.

I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to be a vegetarian in Serbia. I lived in Germany for a while, and even there in the smaller cities (outside Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich, for example), it is almost impossible to find decent vegetarian food.

djordjem87 likes this.
  5. Want 2seeTheWorld

Want 2seeTheWorld New Member

I can't help with a recipe as I don't really cook, but I recommend looking for one for Saag Paneer - a lovely spinach dish with Indian cheese. It's not the spiciest dish out there but it is delicious.

djordjem87 likes this.
  6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Thank you very much on the advice. I was wondering if someone could tell what are the basic ingredients in most Indian veg food. Maybe i am asking too much and someone will think i could google that but i really like to hear it from people. I feel more secure about it. Founding several dishes on BBC recipes is not what want. I like Jamie Oliver but it is genuine answer i am searching here. So if anyone is fro India or have been living there or even work in an Indian restaurant please be nice and tell me about some basic ingredients in Indian Cusine (like rice in China).