1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarian Food in Alleppey

Discussion in 'South India' started by PriyaDas, Jul 25, 2015.

1. PriyaDas

PriyaDas New Member

I am a vegetarian and will soon be going to Kerala, the only issue I would face there is the food, because I know Kerala is a place which is popular for its no veg food, and in places like this the options for vegetarians is not so good, and I don't want something like food ruining the holiday. If there are any good vegetarian restaurants in Kerela of good quality please suggest them.

2. KK

KK Member

There are plenty of options for vegetarian food in Alleppey, but there are two which I would recommend in particular. To begin with I would suggest Hot Kitchen which serves a variety of vegetarian food and their specialties are pranthas aloo and peas, paneer masala and gobi manchurian.
    The cost of the food is also very reasonable

Another affordable vegetarian option is Sree Durga Bhavan Udipi who serve a variety of North Indian and South Indian food, as well as thalis.

3. Sramana

Sramana Member

I visited Alleppey recently (in June) and I was apprehensive about the availability of vegetarian food as well. No worries, there are plenty of pure-veg restaurants around town. Even if you are staying in a resort, vegetarian food is ubiquitously available. We had some awesome stew, kadala curry and aapam!

4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

You will not find any difficulty in finding a good vegetarian restaurant there. Hot Kitchen as recommended earlier is the best option. The food is very tasty and cheap there. I am a vegan and always opt for this restaurant when I am there.

For breakfast, Dosa / Iddli would be ideal as they are very light on stomach. Hot kitchen has got a variety of North Indian dishes too. There is high demand for Hot Kitchen food.

5. Clara

Clara New Member

As a fellow vegetarian, I am relieved to learn about the abundance of vegetarian dishes available. I would image that it would be helpful to learn some of the common vegetarian dishes names available in the different regions, too.

For example, I have never heard of

After a quick search, I now know an aapam is a type of pancake! Not only is it popular in Kerala, but also in Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka.

I would appreciate it, if anyone here on this forum wanted to add the names of other popular vegetarian dishes found in India for future reference.

6. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

OK. I start with five famous vegetarian breakfast of Kerala :

1)Puttu - It is prepared with rice flour and cooked in steam. Even though rice is commonly used, you can also ask for varieties of wheat flour or rawa
    2)Idli - Made from fermented batter of rice and lentils. Very soft and delicious with chutney. I think it is the most popular breakfast item which is very light on stomach.
    3)Dosa - recipe is almost similar to that of Idli. They are flat and round in shape.
    4)Appam - made out of batter of rice and coconut. There are a lot of varieties like palappam, vellayappam, Kallappam etc. and they are very tasty.
    5)Idiyappam - This is steamed rice noodles made out of rice flour

Clara likes this.
  7. turtledove

turtledove Member

There are plenty of vegetarian options all over India, and it's the same in Kerala. Although it's more well known for it's non-veg specialities, you can get some fantastic vegetarian south Indian delicacies there. For example, Dosa, Idly, Appam, sambhar, rasam, paratha (known there as parotha I believe) and a huge range of vegetable curries. You definitely won't struggle with finding some vegetarian dishes! :)

Chahal likes this.
  8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

There are plenty of vegetarian restaurants in Kerala. Some of the restaurants serve both vegetarian and non-vegeterian dishes as well. Here are some of the best vegetarian restaurants in Kerala:

Cochin
    • French Toast - This is a cafe with Continental cuisine. They have salads, French toasts, sandwiches and desserts. Try out their mushroom and lentil burger or their strawberry French toast. Their address is: 8th Cross Street B, Ambikapuram Road, Panampilly Nagar, Panampilly Nagar, Kochi.
    • Tandoor - They have North Indian and Continental cuisines. They have a mixture of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. I can recommend their crispy vegetable fry, paneer kadhai and vegetable balti. Their address is: Layam Road, Pallimukku, Kochi.
    • Brindhavan Vegetarian Restaurant - They have North Indian, South Indian and Chinese cuisines. This is a pure vegetarian restaurant. Try out their Masala dosa, paneer kati rolls and idli dosa. Their address is: 32/2352, A16, Kalvath Towers, Palarivattom, Kochi.
    Trivandrum
    • Arya Niwas - This is a pure vegetarian restaurant offering Indian dishes. Try out their Masala dosa and hot idli. Their address is: Manorama Road, Thampanoor, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695001.
    • Arul Jyothi - They have North Indian and South Indian cuisines. This is a very affordable restaurant in the area. Try out their butter naan, idli and dosas. Their address is:
      TC 26/890, Bakery Junction.
    • Mother's Vegetable Plaza - This is another pure vegetarian restaurant. They have Indian and Asian cuisines. Their sadhya has received praises from customers, it's a must-try. Their address is: Bakery Junction, Near Russian Culture, Palayam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695034.
    Kozhikode
    • Dakshin The Veg - They have Chinese, Indian and Asian cuisines. Their thali is worth it especially for the very affordable price of Rs. 100. Their address is: 17/43, Opposite National Hospital, Mavoor Road & Mavoor Junction, Tazhekkod, Kozhikode, Kerala 673001.
    • Sri Venkatesh Lunch Home - This is probably one of the oldest hotels/restuarants in Kozhikode. They have a nice variety of vegetarian dishes. Try out their poori masala, chola poori and masala dosa. Their address is: Near Old Corporation Office, Near Gandhi Statue, Kozhikode 673032.
    • Punjab Di Rasoi - They have a variety of Indian and Punjabi dishes. Try out their mango lassi, Punjabi lassi and Punjabi thali. Their address is: Near St. Josephs Boys HSS, Silk Street, Kozhikode, Kerala 673032.
    Thrissur
    • Hotel Bharat - They have Indian cuisine. Just make sure you go here early as it is always crowded. Some of the must-try dishes here are: paneer masala and vadas. Their address is: TMC 36-483, Chembottil Lane, Thrissur, Kerala 68000.
    • Sree Radhakrishna Prasada - They have Asian, Indian and Chinese cuisines. Their ghee roast and vada sambar are the best picks from their menu. Their address is: Chettiangadi, Kuruppam Road, Thrissur, Kerala 680001.
    • Kalyan Veg Platter - They have Chinese, Indian and Italian cuisines. Try out their vegetarian platter. Their address is: C Achutha Menon Road, Sreenagar Colony, Thrissur, Kerala 680667.
    Varkala
    • Hotel Suprabhatham - They have authentic Kerala dishes at a very affordable price. Try out their masala dosa, thali and paper roast dosa. Their address is: Main Road, Maithanam, Varkala 695141.
    • Passion Fruit - They have mainly local cuisines. It's easy to overlook their restaurant as you pass by it. However, their dishes are very delectable.Try out their tomato uthappam, eggplant masala and masala dosa. Their address is: Papanasam Beach Road, Akshay Beach Resort & Restaurant, Varkala.
    • Oottupura - This restaurant has Indian and Asian dishes. Their bindi and cashew paneer are worth trying out. Their address is: Next to Helipad, Varkala.
    Alappuzha
    • Hot Dishes - This restaurant has been mentioned already but it's worth repeating. They have Indian and Asian dishes. Their chapatis and dosas are guest favourites. Their address is: Behind Sbt ATM, Thondankulangara, Alappuzha 688006.
    • Hotel Hot Kitchen - This is a pure vegetarian restaurant. Try out their vegetable kadai and aloo paratha. Their address is: Mullackal Road, Alappuzha.
    • Makkani Restaurant - They have Afghani, Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines. Their dal is worth trying out. Their address is: Boat Jetty Road, Alappuzha 688013.
    Munnar
    • Saravana Bhavan - They have authentic local dishes of Kerala. Their thali is very affordable but tasty. Their address is: Munnar Market, Munnar, Kerala 685612.
    • Hotel Sri Nivas - This is a hotel but they do have a restaurant serving vegetarian dishes. Their idlis are a must-try, it almost melts in your mouth. Their address is: Gh Road Munnar in Main Market, Munnar 685612.
    • Annapoorna Restaurant - This serves vegetarian Indian dishes. Their paranthas and chapatis are good. Their address is: Misja Junction Near Old British Church, Red Sparrow Hotels & Resorts, Munnar.
    There you go. I hope this helps!