1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way to Reach Leh from Delhi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Sagar, May 23, 2016.

1. Sagar

Sagar New Member

Going to Leh will be the first time for my wife and I, and we have read lots of threads on the forum which mainly are about going to Leh from Delhi by car. Although this is an option, I would like to know about the other options about getting to Leh and especially the best way to reach Leh from Delhi.

The route is very long, and I think it can be tedious, but on the other side it is also something which should be experienced by car so that I have heard and read.

Please give your expert views on this query of mine.

Thanks.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi, from what I've gathered, there's a few ways to reach Leh from Delhi. Here are your options:
    • Motorcyle/Bike. Leh is actually known as the "Biker's Paradise." They say that nothing beats travelling to Leh through a motorcycle. In Manali, there are several motorcycle rental shops that you can try to rent motorcycles. When travelling via motorcycle, it's best to allow for acclimatisation to happen. So allot at least three days for biking to be able to be acclimatised. Keep in mind that travelling via motorcycles can be dangerous and risky.
    • Jeep. This is undeniably the fastest way to travel to Leh. The great thing about jeeps is that they can cover the distance from Manali to Leh in one day. Buses usually take two trips. You can ride a public jeep with other locals and tourists. Or you can ride a private jeep if you're travelling with a group of other people. It's more comfortable to ride in a private jeep as you can control the stopovers.
    • Buses. There are buses from Delhi to Manali and from Manali to Leh. You can opt for state or private buses. Views from the bus are really amazing although the whole ride itself can be uncomfortable.
    • Trucks. The best thing about this way is that you get to interact with locals and eat what they eat. You won't have as much views as the other options though.
    There you go, some of the ways you can reach Leh from Delhi. It's up to you what you choose though. There's no doubt that by bringing a car, you're going to be more comfortable and it has the most flexibility. But choosing these other ways, they can be great experiences for you as well.

I hope this helps, have fun!