1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Way to Travel from Delhi to Srinagar

Discussion in 'North India' started by Rajan, May 16, 2016.

1. Rajan

Rajan New Member

I plan to take my family on a holiday to Srinagar from Delhi and would like some advice from experienced travelers to find out the best way to travel from Delhi to Srinagar. On the trip will be my wife, two twin sons aged 9 years old and 4-year-old daughter.
    Some of the important questions are:

We have our vehicle, which I can drive from Delhi to Srinagar, would this be a good idea?

How much would a taxi cost from Delhi to Srinagar?

Would traveling by train be a better option as compared to traveling by car?

How many times do you recommend we stop over from Delhi to Srinagar?

Is it best to travel at night or day?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi, here are the answers to your questions:

We have our vehicle, which I can drive from Delhi to Srinagar, would this be a good idea?
    • Yes, you can actually travel from Delhi to Srinagar by car. Keep in mind though that this would be a long trip and it is not really recommended especially if you haven't driven to tough roads. If you have a 4x4, then it would make the roads more tolerable.
    How much would a taxi cost from Delhi to Srinagar?

• I don't know exactly how much it will cost. But consider this for every kilometre you take, that's going to cost Rs 12 up to Rs 55, it depends on the cab you take. The distance from Delhi to Srinagar is 845 kilometres which is roughly around 13 to 14 hours of travelling.
    Would traveling by train be a better option as compared to traveling by car?
    • Yes, travelling by train is more recommended than travelling by car or by bus. You have to take a direct train from New Delhi to Jammu, which can be around 10 hours. Then, the Jammu Railway Station is about 297 kilometre away from Srinagar, so you would need to take a cab for a travel time of 5 hours.
    How many times do you recommend we stop over from Delhi to Srinagar?
    • As much as you'd like, don't rush into covering long distances. Take a rest if you feel tired or restless already.
    Is it best to travel at night or day?
    • It's best to travel during the day so you can see the roads and the sceneries easily.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.