1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullet Trains

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Benti, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Benti

Benti New Member

I've heard that India and Japan are both going to acquiring the new bullet trains to help improve on the current rail transportation. I haven't been able to find out when they will be in use. Does anyone here know?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Are you meaning the mag-lev trains that Japan is looking at implementing?

I have some friends living in Japan and there's been a lot of talk about those trains...apparently they can go around 600km an hour! But I'm not sure when they are being implemented. I didn't know about India getting them too - that's great news for travellers!

3. freddi

freddi Member

I read on BBC News that India just bought a bullet train from Japan, but I thought it meant that they're getting the kind that's already used in Japan- not something new (?). The article says it will cut the journey from Mumbai to Ahmedabad from eight hours to just two! But I would assume that it's not as straight-forward as just buying the train - surely the infrastructure has to be in place first, and how long would that take to achieve?

amelia88 likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh goodness, yes, I can't imagine how long it would take to get the infrastructure up and running. Even with the new version of the bullet trains they're looking at incorporating in Japan I think it's taking several more years to implement. It's great though that India are looking to this technology too. I think from a travellers perspective it's wonderful being able to cut down on travel times from A to B, and the safety record in Japan for bullet trains is impeccable so that's a reassuring thing too!

5. arthnel

arthnel Member

I watched on TV about the proposals for countries in Asia and India was definitely on the list for Maglev trains. I think the first one was to connect Mumbai with Pune and then others would follow. They were at least t the proposal stage. India has many people and if they were to really happen it would seriously transform so many industries and lives in India. As a tourist I would get to go more places there too. I want that to happen:cool:

6. freddi

freddi Member

Stupid question...is a maglev train the same as a bullet train? I'm pretty clueless on that sort of stuff - to me it's either a modern train or a 'Harry Potter' train with the steam and stuff! :D

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Mag-lev is new technology that they're looking at implementing - it literally stands for "magnetic levitation" and the train actually hovers about 10 centimeters above the track, and is propelled along that way! It's meant to go about double as fast as the standard bullet trains they have now.

It all sounds pretty futuristic, doesn't it!

8. Titanium

Titanium New Member

Woah, that sounds awesome! I think I've heard about it before, but it was a long time ago. I'm shocked they're not a normal thing by now!

I wonder if they'll be easier to run than regular trains. I wish they would spread around the world if they are!

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

From all reports that I've read, they're super safe, so I guess the ease of running should be good! I think it's just a matter of getting all the tracks up and running, and capable of this - I'm imagining the cost would be pretty expensive though, since it's really top of the line technology.

I would love to see it available in lots of places though - it would make travel so much easier!

10. Sammie

Sammie Member

This train hovers on the track and can be propelled at 600 kph or 372 mph. What kind of safety mechanism is in place should an accident happen. I can't imagine anyone surviving a crash at 372 miles per hour? Have there been any accidents where this type of train is in existence?

11. freddi

freddi Member

Like, hovers like a hoverboard? Count me in - Back to the Future is my favourite film! :D Is that the same thing as a monorail? I went on the monorails at Disney World in Florida and they were pretty smooth and fast. It would be great if all trains were like that.

12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Haha, yeah, I guess you could look at it like that! It's literally propelled by nothing else than magnetic force. No wheels, nothing - it really does just hover! It's both incredible and somewhat scary all at once!

I'll definitely want to give it a try though once it's all up and running!