1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Train Tickets

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Cookie, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to buy train tickets before getting to India? I'm a bit obsessive in that I would like to have as many details confirmed (and ideally paid for) before I even fly over, so that it's less things to have to think about while I'm there. I saw a travel show about Japan where British tourists bought their tickets online before travelling and was hoping to do the same.

2. RBean

RBean New Member

My girlfriend is like you. She wants everything planned down to where we go, eat, sleep, travel, etc. As she puts it, she doesn't want to get to where we are going and be disappointed that we couldn't do something because we were too late. I think you can check out the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation online to book your tickets.

3. Cookie

Cookie Member

Ha ha - I guess there are two kinds of people, planners and 'pantsers', i.e. those who like to 'fly by the seat of their pants' and just see what happens. I'm way too much of a control freak to do that! Thanks very much for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

4. Andre

Andre New Member

When I travel I just like to know how I can get from the airport to my hotel. After this I just plan my days according to the weather. I think it's a good idea to buy your tickets ahead of time. I think your travel agent could help you with this.

5. Cookie

Cookie Member

Ha ha, I wish I could be that spontaneous! It's just not in my nature. :confused: Would you do any forward planning before you leave to, say, come up with a checklist of things you might want to do or see? Or do you literally get there and then find out what is in the area?

6. paudu

paudu Member

What is the opposite of spontaneous? That's me. I am making plans, backup plans, and emergency plans for every possible contingency. "Chance favors the prepared mind."

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

You can buy train tickets online. Going to train station to buy train tickets can be very frustrating considering the crowd. Unless you want to see the crowd at the station, I suggest you to avoid visiting station for ticket. You can also buy train tickets through travel agency.

8. nshsarin

nshsarin New Member

Please visit the site www.irctc.co.in for all your Indian Railway ticket requirements. Visit the site and create a ID for yourself. Follow the instructions on the site. It is a very user friendly site. Happy stay in India

9. drjohnfly23

drjohnfly23 New Member

How much time forward can we book tickets?

10. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

You can book train tickets 60 days in advance now. It used to be 120 days before but government has recently changed that to 60 days. Trains in India are normally choke-a-block so make sure you book your tickets well in advance.

11. integrity101

integrity101 Member

Most trains in India have been around for quite some time and can be quite uncomfortable on long hauls especially on a hot day. Make sure to buy "air con" or "chair" class tickets. They may seem luxurious but you'll thank yourself later. However, get into the usual first and second class once in a while for a real Indian train experience. The trains windows may be yellowed but at least they have working fans overhead. One thing is for sure, every train ride in India is an unforgettable experience.

12. Beware. If you are a foreign national Indian trains will be a very disconcerting experience for you. Tickets can be bought on irctc.co.in unto 120 days in advance I think. It is in your best interest to have a plan and book the tickets as early as possible, otherwise it gets difficult to get one on the popular routes.

13. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It is 60 days now, not 120.

What do you mean by that?

14. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This was one area where we had no issue in our travels to India. That is more that I can say about some other places, and maybe we just got a little lucky, but on the whole we were able to get them in advance and if not there were plenty of other options. I never felt rushed or even like we got a bad deal or anything.

15. Sorry I did not know the rule has changed.

People who are used to less crowded and clean trains in their own country might find it difficult to adjust to our trains. Only very few elite trains are really good and comfortable for travelling, but if you can afford them you are better off going by a low-cost airliner.

16. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Buying Train Tickets

Its a relative term. A Pakistani would also be a foreigner in India and so would a Bangladeshi besides many other countries.
    I have traveled in Indian trains and I have traveled in Bangladesh and Pakistan as well and I can assure you that our trains are 100 times better and people well behaved.

Trains in India are not the best but if you have a confirmed ticket in a half decent train you are good no matter where you come from. People don't expect other countries to be like their home country and if it were all the same there is no point of going for a holiday. The uniqueness and affordability of Indian railways is second to none. Tickets for similar distances in UK would cost 95-98% more than what we pay here in India.. There will be a difference in what we get for those two very different prices.

By the way Metro trains in Delhi are "the cleanest" trains I have ever seen amongst different countries I have been to.