1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleanest Beach in Mumbai

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Neel, Jun 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Neel

Neel New Member

I maybe going Mumbai in a short while and want to visit the beach there, I have a read thread about beaches in Mumbai and read reviews about the beaches and found that Juhu beach is quite dirty and has dirty water. I need to know which beach in Mumbai is the cleanest and possibly not as crowded at Juhu beach.

2. JimmyKakkar

JimmyKakkar New Member

You can not say that the beaches in Mumbai are clean, but the cleanest beaches according to me are Versova beach, Dana Pani beach and Chowpatty beach.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

All the beaches at Mumbai are extremely crowded most of the times and it depends what you consider clean. I don't find any of them clean myself. Goa is a whole lot better in that respect.

4. Anurag

Anurag Member

Versova beach is said to be a clean beach but it is a local place for fishermen, so you would get the fishy smell there, otherwise it is clean and ideal for peaceful walks.

5. Rider

Rider New Member

Cleanest beach in Mumbai....haha...I don't think there is a chance for that, you would be better off going to Goa for a clean beach.

6. MohanPrasad

MohanPrasad New Member

Believe me no beach in Mumbai is clean, if for some reason you may see a slightly clean beach it would be smelly. If it is beaches you are after then it is best to go Goa, which has much better beaches. For experience though you can go and see the famous Marine drive beach and Juhu beach, least you can say you have been there.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I have heard that Kashid Beach is one of the cleaner beaches near Mumbai. Guest houses and resorts are near the beach. The place also offers some water sports if you are into that kind of thing. It has white sand and has nice waves for surfing too. There are a few activities you can do near the beach which you can check into (horseback riding, water sports). I hope this helps!

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Honestly from everything I've researched, like others have already said it's hard to find what I would call a 'clean' beach in Mumbai. I'm planning to visit Mumbai for my cultural/city vacation fix, but then heading to Goa for my beach/relaxation time!

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Even though I've never been to the area, I'm guessing by the responses already in this thread that the beaches leave a lot to be desired around Mumbai?

When you say they're dirty, can I ask dirty with what? And are there any plans to tidy them up, as surely that would put tourists off visiting the area?

10. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Mumbai is never going to be a place to find a nice beach, its not likely to ever be the case. There are plenty of other things to do in the city, but personally I would never spend any time on a beach there. Goa has some of the most beautiful beaches in the World, Mumbai has a million things to do but sitting on a dirty beach is not something I would choose for myself.

11. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

Hi Neel! Well you have put us all in a tough situation, because as many of the members have pointed out, there are no clean beaches in Mumbai. The beaches there are so full of people and are so polluted that it's not even funny. If you want to party and have a good time then head out to the beaches in Goa, but if you want to lay back and relax go to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Beaches in Goa are pretty clean, even when they become crowded, and the ones in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are the cleanest you will find practically any where in the world. If you want, just pick any random beach in Mumbai, and walk along the beach, so that you can say that you went, but please don't get in the water. It might make you sick since maybe you are not immune to some of the bacteria or pollutants in the water.

12. baldyhead

baldyhead New Member

I would love to know where the potential fishing spots are in India. I want to take an across Asia trip sometime next year and make my way around coastal China, Japan and throughout India. Has anyone done any sports fishing over in Asia that could recommend any great area's to concentrate on? I'm only in the beginning of planning the trip so I haven't committed to anything yet.

13. artyarson

artyarson New Member

Unfortunately, the word clean is not the most proper one to describe that area with

14. Indyra

Indyra Member

If it is a place where tourists leave a lot of litter, I think that is disgraceful. You leave your homeland to visit other places, and then trash them. Unacceptable!

15. Benti

Benti New Member

There should be more patrol on those beaches. It's ridiculous that people travel for thousands of miles, and then leave a beautiful place trashed!

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Many of the beaches in Mumbai are in the noisy and crowded side. There are some hidden gems of beaches in the area though. Aside from Kashid Beach that I've mentioned above, here are some of the other cleanest and less crowded beaches in Mumbai:

Cleanest, Less Crowded Beaches in Mumbai
    • Gorai Beach - This is about 12 kms from Bhayander and you'd have to ride a bus to reach the jetty that will take you to the Gorai Beach. This is one of the lesser crowded beaches in Mumbai. Aside from that, there's not much food stalls or beach shacks here so that also lessens the people and the trash. Around the beach, there are coconut trees that provide some shade from the sun. This beach is also popular amongst couples because they can find some serenity and privacy here. And even though the beach doesn't have as many shacks, you won't find a problem with accommodations as they are quite plenty here.
    • Marve Beach - You can find this beach in Malad. From the Malad Railway Station, just ride a bus to reach the Marve Beach. This is about 25 kms from Mumbai, making it one of the closest beaches to the city centre. Although it's very close to the city, it isn't really affected by the hustle and bustle of the city. The water here is unsuitable for swimming though because of the sinking sands and currents. But for having a picnic or enjoying the scenery, this is a great place to do these things. Lined with cashew nut trees and even the bungalows around the beach, you'd find the surroundings as pleasant as the beach. There's also an Indian Naval Base here called the INS Hamla and you can watch them train every morning. For sightseeing, you can visit the old Portuguese Church nearby the beach.
    • Manori Beach - This is just a ferry ride away from the Marve Beach. You can also reach this beach by road, but this is considered as more time-consuming than the ferry ride. This is just about 40 kms away from Mumbai. This beach is sometimes called as the "Mini Goa" because of the Portuguese structures and churches nearby. The village itself here isn't as crowded so you won't find many people in the beach. With less people, there's less trash and garbage in the vicinity as well.
    • Aksa Beach - This is just about 27 kms from Mumbai. You can ride a bus or an auto from the Malad Station or the Borivali Station to reach this beach. Unfortunately, swimming is also quite dangerous here due to the sinking sands and currents. But sunsets here can help relieve you off stress. You can venture into the nearby waters as well, they're very clean and blue. For the couples or people wanting some privacy, this is a great destination because it offers some seclusion. You can also find hotels and cottages as well just nearby the beach.
    • Versova Beach - A mere 12 kms away from Mumbai, this beach is considered as an extension of the Juhu Beach. Don't worry though as it isn't really crowded or dirty like Juhu Beach. Because there's not much attractions or activities here, not a lot of tourists go this beach. You can reach it by riding a bus from the Andheri Bus Station. It's also fun to just watch the fishermen here venture into the sea for their line of work. It is also one of the cleaner beaches in the area.
    • Uran Beach - This is about 43 kms from Mumbai. You can reach this beach from a ferry ride from the Gateway of India. Tourists enjoy this beach because they can escape the city life here. You can see the city of South Mumbai from here as well. The remains of the Karanja Fort are also within this beach. There's not much beach shacks or accommodations here. On the up side, at least there's not many trashes around the area.
    • Kihim Beach - Although this beach is located in Alibaug, this is just very close to Mumbai. By road though, this is about 126 kms from Mumbai. The best way to reach the beach is via a ferry ride. From the Gateway of India, ride a ferry to Mandwa. From there, you can ride a bus going to Alibaug. Not many tourists know about this stretch of beach, so you have it all to yourself. For accommodation, there's some guest houses nearby the beach. And luckily, shacks offer some fresh seafood meals for the tourists. Just nearby the beach, you can find rare wildflowers, butterflies and plants in the forest. Enjoy this clean and pristine beach, free from trashes and crowds unlike other beaches.
    • Korlai Beach - This is about 114 kms from Mumbai. As it's about 20 kms away from Alibaug, you'd also need to ride a ferry from the Gateway of India and ride a bus going to Alibaug from Mandwa. You can then ride an auto or a bus going to Korlai. Accommodations aren't available in the beach itself but you can camp overnight here. Aside from the beach, there's a lighthouse here worth visiting. Another attraction here is the Korlai Fort. The beach is as private as can be, you won't find many tourists here apart from a few locals. The water here is very clean as well, perfect for swimming and enjoying the sun.
    • Kelva Beach - This is about 80 kms from Mumbai. You can find it in the Thane District. Probably one of the best virgin beaches in Mumbai as not a lot of people know about this place. Set amidst lush greenery, you can get lost in the beauty of this beach. Apart from that, activities like horse riding and paragliding can also be done here. Just nearby the beach is the Kelva Fort which you can also explore. For kids, there is a nearby park in the beach. Slowly, this beach is gaining popularity so it's best to visit it now when it isn't as crowded or as dirty.
    • Diveagar Beach - This is about 130 kms from Mumbai and can be reached via road. What sets this beach apart is that there's lots of water sports to do here. But despite that, it isn't as crowded as Juhu Beach nor as dirty. Just nearby the beach are coconut and betel plantations, have a tour of those if you'd like. Several home stays and guest houses can also be found nearby. There are some waves in the beach but not as strong that swimming cannot be done. There's also a temple just nearby the beach you can visit.
    Enjoy!

Admin likes this.