1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climbing The Tirupati Balaji Temple

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Eminrac, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Eminrac

Eminrac New Member

Hello guys! I wanted to ask about a landmark I heard about in India. It's called The Tirupati Balaji Temple, but I've also read that it is sometimes called Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple. I could also be mistaken and these are two separate temples that are located near each other.

Anyway, my friend who recently traveled to India told me I have to check it out. Apparently people are allowed to climb the stairway of the temple. It's supposed to be a very grueling experience, and for religious reasons, you're not allowed to wear any shoes or sandals while doing so. The challenge is very appealing to me, and the view from the top of the temple is supposed to be something of a religious experience. I'm also a big hiking fan, which makes it all the more interesting to me. Has anyone ever been there? Any stories that you can share? Thank a lot guys!

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

The Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple is known by many names. These are: Tirumala Temple, Tirupati Temple, Tirupati Balaji Temple. The temple is dedicated to Lord Venkateswara who is an incarnation of Vishnu. I would share with you some interesting facts about the temple itself:
    • There is real hair to the idol of Lord Venkateswara and it was said that it didn't even have knots in it.
    • There is a nearby village to the temple to which only residents are allowed to enter. It is said that the women in this village have a tradition of not wearing blouses. Everything that is offered to the Lord Venkateswara came from this village, from flowers, to milk and even butter.
    • It is the most visited temple in the world, averaging about 10o,000 visitors a day.
    • It is also the most wealthy temple when it comes to donations.
    • Visitors and worshippers can have their hair donated as well as an offering to God.
    • The annual estimated income of the temple is about $6 billion.
    As far as visiting the temple, it can truly be a one-of-a-kind experience. I would advice you to abide by the guidelines set forth by the management. Like you said, removing the shoes is necessary. You would also need to be quiet as you visit the place to preserve its sanctity. Wear the proper clothing attire as well.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.

3. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

I come from the same state(province) where Tirupati is located. Lord Balaji or Venkateswara is one and the same and is the main deity of Tirumala, Tirupati Devasthanams(Temples). It's a famous Hindu religious shrine which draws visitors from all over the world.

The revenues of the temple are 2nd highest in the world. Tirumala is a hilly destination which is made up of seven hills. The lord is sometimes called the god of seven hills. It's a big village in itself on the hilltop. You have excellent facilities, inexpensive rentals, A/c and Non A/c accommodation, great food among others.

You can climb the hilltop by barefoot. It's a sacred place and hence, footwear is strictly not allowed. But it's absolutely clean and mesmerizing that it's a virtual joy to reach the abode of Lord Balaji by foot.

Get more info from Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams