1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Hindi Phrases To Know While In India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by integrity101, Mar 22, 2016.

1. integrity101

integrity101 Member

You don't really need to learn the whole Hindi language to get around the magical country but you can always get by with a few common phrases. Here is my pick of useful Hindi phrases you may need to learn while planning your trip:
    Hello - namaste/namaskar
    No - nahin (pronounced nehi)
    How much - kitna hai
    what is your name - aapaka naam kya hai
    Thanks - Thanyavaad (or simply shukryia).

What other common phrases can you think of?

2. rajesh

rajesh Member

There are infinitely many phrases in Hindi but I would like to share some common phrases that may help you:
    Excuse me! - shama keejeeae
    One moment please! - Ek minat
    Can you help me? - Kya aap meri madad kar saktey hain?
    See you later! - Phir milen-ge.
    Hey! Friend! - Arrey, Dost!
    I'm fine, thanks! - Mein theek hoon, shukriya!

I hope this helps. ;)

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't English still a major language in India? I'm pretty sure the locals would easily understand English if you stick to small words when necessary. But still, learning their own language would not only make you communicate better, but it would also let you bond with the locals and experience their lifestyle a bit more.

4. Maja

Maja Member

Those phrases are really helpful. Thank you. I understand that India is a multi-lingual country so I guess there would be slight differences, so thank you again for posting the most common phrases that people who don't speak Indian language can use.

5. integrity101

integrity101 Member

The phrases are not actually a replacement of English but just a way of adding flavor to your communication. English is predominantly spoken in most parts of India especially in cities and other urban centers. Almost all stall owners speak good English although with a deep accent.