Should I Rent A Car While In India?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Namiee, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Namiee

Namiee New Member

While I'm not in a big hurry to get from here-to-there, I've heard that Indian traffic is amongst the worst, rivaling that of China and New York. Is it worth renting a nice car to get where I want conveniently, or should I stay local?

How is Taxi service in Delhi, by the way? I'm hoping to visit, so if I don't rent a car, do you think this would be the best bet when traveling in and out of the city?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Aja

Aja Member

I don't do very well with renting a car in a strange country. I know I won't drive like a native, and I'm so afraid of breaking some kind of traffic law that I don't even know about.

3. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

I haven't got to India yet but I've seen enough TV footage to be wary of driving a car there. Maybe it would be okay in more rural areas? In the city I think you'd have to get with the programme pretty quickly and drive like a local.

I tried once in Italy and failed miserably.

4. lstryhrn

lstryhrn New Member

I wouldn't rent one at all. I would just enjoy the country and the trip by find different ways of getting around.

5. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Yes I agree. We once rented a car in Australia and it's not just not about knowing how to drive a car but the road rules and regulations are probably much different from your home country. Same goes in Australia, we had to overcome that problem but it wasn't easy.

6. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

When I was in India I rented a car and pretty much immediately took it back. Driving rules and laws are different than in Canada, so I just got a taxi to take me places. I probably costed me a lot more, but was better than not knowing anything on the road. Cheers!

7. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

It is definitely more fun to see what is going around you from the passenger seat having to concentrate hard to avoid having an accident.

Travelcheap, I imagine taxis are not too pricey in India compared to Canada, right?

8. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

In my opinion, Renting is a better idea and there are number of shops available providing vehicles on rent at an affordable cost.

9. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

The traffic in Delhi is definitely crazy. Are you just going to be staying in Delhi? How long will you be there? I have never rented a car when I've visited India, and it's never a problem. There are many ways of getting around, wherever you are - taxis, rickshaws, buses, etc. - and I think that taking those makes the trip more fun. Using local transport is an easy way to learn more about the country quickly, because that way you bump into local people, you can watch what's going on as you pass it rather than having to pay attention to the wheel, and, as other posters have said, you don't have the stress of having to think about new traffic laws or crazy drivers.

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would avoid renting a car if possible. You should be able to use a taxi quite easily, or even a rickshaw. Indeed, the rickshaws are part of the Indian experience for many people. I agree that traffic is a big problem, so unless you really enjoy driving you would probably want to avoid it at all costs. If you are somewhat on the outskirts, perhaps working in a suburb for some tech campus, traffic can be lighter. But I would still use public transport since it is much easier, and there is no risk of getting lost or damaging the car.

11. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I would hire a driver. I am like some of the others, and afraid that I would misunderstand the laws. If I were going to be in India for an extraordinary period of time then I might consider driving there. Other wise there are a lot of other great travel options.There are plenty of taxis, so you do not need to worry that you might get trapped someplace.I know that some people are bent on driving, but if you aren't then don't waste your time and stress levels on driving.

12. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Who wants to drive in India?

Have a look at this intersection and see if you still want to :

13. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Oh my, that is worse than the Argentine drivers here in Uruguay. We get a lot during the tourist season, and they are worse than the locals. It is a madhouse, but not anywhere as bad as that.

14. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Some of these accidents in that video look like they did it on purpose. Stupid drivers who never went through a driving test.

15. If you are going to live in Delhi I must say traffic is going to be bad; which is pretty much true for any city in India. If I may suggest you please try to use public transportation as much as possible, since Delhi already has too many private vehicles and has become extremely prone to air pollution.

16. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

do you think it is an issue of the drivers, the cars, or a lack of roads? I would be interested to know what it will take for India to become a safe place for driving.

17. Road accidents happen anywhere in the world, so India is not particular in this respect. Although I do agree that there is general apathy towards following traffic regulations in cities, which can be troublesome for many people. But unlike in other western countries I feel cases of drunk driving are very less in India. The lack of roads is not much of a problem; there are good roads connecting most parts of India.

18. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Where did you get that impression from? I see drunk people every where especially the cops who go back home drunk as a rule every night and they either ride their motor bikes home or their cars themselves.

Drunk driving is an epidemic in India.

19. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

As others have pointed, it can be extremely chaotic to drive in India especially if you're not used to such driving conditions. I come from a country where reckless drivers are rampant so I know that I can probably fare well in India. But if you're used to disciplined and law-abiding drivers, then you might be surprised with the chaos on the roads in India.

As far as renting taxis, it's a great choice as well. All you have to be certain is that you collect your receipt from the counter first. This way, you won't have to pay extras or haggle with the taxi driver for the fare.

Motorcycles are the most common mode of transportation in India as well. But keep in mind that it can keep you away from traffic, it is also very dangerous to ride motorcycles in India as they have quite a lot of motor accidents there. So don't choose this one if you're not that accustomed to riding motorcycles.

20. integrity101

integrity101 Member

I strongly advise against driving yourself in large Indian cities such as Delhi. Don't be surprised to find yourself stuck in one spot for hours overwhelmed by the noise of incessant hooting and a sea of human and animal traffic darting dangerously close to your car. Just leave driving to the natives.

21. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I heard stories about this and already seen this video once. I cannot believe that this problem could not be solved. You have to be a complete idiot not to be able to have this solved. Anyway I have or even had a friend from India who went back home for a weekend and was hit while on a bike. A truck hit him. That can happen okay, it is not that strange but some guys from India as well who didn't go home that same weekend, they were not very surprised. They were like, "It had to happen once." I was blown away.

22. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Driving and renting a car in a foreign country is sometimes tricky, and especially if you're going to a major city.

While we can read up on the rules and traffic laws all we like, sometimes the locals will have their own version that's not that easy to follow!

23. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

To be honest, you won't see that much if you rent a car and just travel from one place to the next. The best parts are the ones you just accidentally stumble into, and those are the most memorable ones. There's also the added baggage of you taking responsibility for the car, which would need to be looked out for in case it gets damaged, or worse, stolen. At the end of the day, renting a car is just too much stress and you will barely get to know the local area because you are too busy waiting in the car during the long hours of traffic jams. I hope this helps!

24. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Whaaaat?! I'm so glad I didn't watch that video before I went to India for the first time. Why wasn't anyone looking before they turned or pulled out or crossed the street?! The number of bus and rickshaw drivers who turned into oncoming traffic without looking would actually have made me more likely to want to drive *myself*, rather than putting myself into the hands of someone who might do that. Luckily, I still maintain that I've taken lots of buses, rickshaws, etc. and that I never had something like that happen. Still. A lot of those accidents were astonishing. And ridiculous.