1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couch Surfing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Elaine, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Elaine

Elaine Member

Has anyone ever heard of this? I stumbled upon this website and it looks like it has a lot of popularity. You can apparently stay with someone for free and leave them a reference for other people to read. I found so many profiles with positive feedback from travelers. Do you think it's safe?

2. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I just watched a documentary about this. It seems like a pretty legit operation (I don't know what else to call it), and it operates on the honor system, I guess. Like, the host will trust that you will provide them with a glowing reference and help them get excellent word-of-mouth, and you will trust that they'll take care of you during your stay with them. A whole lot of trust is involved here, so you'll have to use plenty of common sense, and make sure you have great instincts. Good luck!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

I couldn't do this; I'm too distrustful by nature. Crashing on someone's couch is too intimate for me to do with a stranger. How do you protect yourself from assault?

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've heard of people doing it, but I feel like it can also be dangerous. I think a lot of those couch surfing sites do have reviews where someone vouches for you - so you can probably assume that people with plenty of good feedback have had lots of travellers through with good experiences. I don't know if I would have the courage to do it, since I wouldn't know the person at all and I would be in their house...the thought alone creeps me out a little!

5. RBean

RBean New Member

I don't know that I'd do this. How do you know the reviews are legitimate and not just the owner posting as different people to give him/herself good reviews? I think my instinct would be to avoid these types of places.

6. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Couch Surfing one of the best adventure sports known nowadays. In my opinion if done under guidance is safe.

7. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I don't think I'll ever try this too. Even if the host were kind and gracious and trustworthy, even if I can be assured of safety for the duration of my stay, I'd still be too uncomfortable - like I'm imposing and taking advantage of others. This appeals to those with a highly adventurous spirit, and those willing to put all of their trust in the kindness of strangers.

8. Elaine

Elaine Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided against it. I do not feel comfortable staying with a stranger. I think I would rather look for a cheap hotel.

9. Ted

Ted New Member

I have used this service for almost 5 years now and have never had any problems. I have met some wonderful people along the way. Just make sure to choose the right host.

10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Oh my gosh, I hadn't even considered this possibility! That makes me even less trustful about the whole couch crashing thing than I already was. I'll definitely stick with hotels!