1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desserts

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by oportosanto, Nov 16, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

Each cuisine is very different from each other and I think that the Indian cuisine is a great example of that. Even if I love the spicy Indian food, what I see as most different in this cuisine are the desserts. They seem to be totally unrelated from everything else! What are your favorite Indian deserts?

2. Amelie

Amelie New Member

There's a restaurant I once visited that served kulfi. It was sooo creamy and sinful. It was ice cream on a whole other level. What I had was pistachio-flavored, but I heard mango is a popular choice, as well. I want to make it at home but I'm too lazy to search for cardamom.

oportosanto likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

You know, Indian desserts are something I've never really explored - from what I'm aware my local Indian restaurants here don't actually sell Indian desserts. I remember reading a post in a thread on here once about a dessert called Gulab Jamun (might be spelling it wrong!) and it sounded pretty yummy, but I'm looking forward to seeing what others would suggest!

4. bittersblue

bittersblue New Member

Indian sweets (mithai) are something that take most foreigners by surprise, I think. They're definitely different from what anyone has experienced in the West. Gulab Jamun and Laddoos are, I think, the most commonly known ones. As much as I enjoy them (especially Gulab Jamun), I do think they're kind of... starter options. They're really common so most people who live outside India have tried them, but I really think there are much better sweets out there.

For exmaple, my two favorite sweets are Kalo Jaam and Kheer Kadam. I don't really know how to properly describe them but goodness, I could literally just eat those two sweets for the rest of my life.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Since i never had a chance to taste any of Indian desserts i wanted to ask people about several i have been looking up online. I read about recipes and even saw videos on them so i can get a solid picture on their texture and taste. I have been working as a chef for some time so it is not so hard to do that. My list goes like this :
    Gulab Jamun, Sandesh, Modak, Kulfi (ice cream), Mawa Anjeer rolls ( i personally think these rolls are great).

6. Cookie

Cookie Member

This is a really good education for me! Somewhat shamefully, my knowledge of Indian food is entirely based on restaurant menus (I know - I'm sorry)...and I'm always so stuffed that I never even consider looking at desserts. :confused:

7. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I enjoy Gulab Jamun which is tasty and can be nice after dinner and have a few of those as eating too much can make the stomach get upset as the sweet has sugar in it and need to have it with moderation, and can be nice to have with some halwa or kheer after a meal and usually buy these sweets when I have the chance. I also like the barfi sweet as it can be tasty and like the almond and milk ones as it can be nice with some cream in it and try and have a few when going out for dinner at Indian restaurants, and it can be enjoyable when having a drink and with friends and try and buy some other ones which can help me decide which ones are good for me. I like how the sweets are made and also it can be different from other sweets and enjoy how the sweets are designed and amazing to see the different sorts available for consumption, and can be nice in the evenings when out for a nice meal which is nice on a cold day and can fill the stomach up.

8. Barbiebarbie73

Barbiebarbie73 New Member

Indian sweets are phenomenal. They are sweet and so yummy. Most of them tend to be milk based. A lot of people here are familiar with mithahi like ladoos and gulab jammun but I prefer things like kheer which is like rice pudding. I also love kulfi with falooda which is a type of cornflour noodle

9. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I love Indian desserts. Actually, Indian desserts are widely used in my home country. Some Indian desserts also happens to be Nepali desserts. I love gulab jamun, laddu, barfi, kalakand, rashvari,

10. Kyle

Kyle New Member

My all time favorite Indian dessert is Gulag Jamun. I really can't describe or explain how it tastes; you just have to try it :) It's simply yummy!

11. Travis

Travis New Member

I would have to say mango kulfi. I had the pleasure to try this once. A friend of mine had her family from India. I was invited to eat dinner. The food was outstanding and the dessert even better. I have never tasted ice cream like that before. I wish I knew how to make it.

12. Arianne

Arianne Member

What ingredients are in the kulfi? Is it made with cream like real ice cream? Do they add something that changes the taste and the texture? I love pistachio so I'd probably really enjoy that flavor.

13. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

A dozen posts so far and not one mention of the amazing vegan Halava! My only experience of Indian cuisine many years ago now, were my frequent long journeys to the Temple Restaurants of the Hare Krishnas. They have almost always made vegan Halava there that was just perfect. None of the desserts I have tasted there were ever too sweet, nor too "floury", but leave you feeling satisfied and have a pleasant after-taste. If they were not so filling, I feel I could eat them all day long. They really do a very nice job there, and all their desserts are visually pleasing to the eye and uplifting in many ways, but I imagine that going to India, they would do it even better, if that were possible!

14. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Oh, how I love desserts. I’m sure there are some fantastic desserts in India. I would like to try as many of them as I can. What the heck you only get a vacation once a year.

15. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I have tried different types of Indian foods, but my knowledge of Indian desserts is very limited unfortunately. The only thing I have ever tried was Gulab Jamun and I loved it.

16. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

Never tried it, but your description make it look delicious, so I looked it up on Google and indeed looks awesome, really makes me want to feel like trying it. Ice cream on a whole new level I do agree!

kulfi.jpg

17. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

I second kulfi, especially mango kulfi! Mango happens to be my favorite fruit, and kulfi is this creamy sort of ice cream-like product that is absolutely delicious, I could not recommend it any more highly! Definitely look for some kulfi if you want a luxurious dessert experience.

18. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Whenever I go and eat at an Indian restaurant, I always top it off with a sizable dessert. As we all know, Indian recipes are often very spicy because of the condiments they put in their recipes. That said, it's always a treat to get that spicy feeling off your mouth by going through a nice dessert. Among my favorite Indian desserts are Gulab jamun, Gajar Ka Halwa, Sandesh, Modak, Aam Shrikhand, and Payasam.

19. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Jilebi is yet another sweet dessert that is mostly seen in all parts of the country.
    It is made from maida to which curds is added. A batter is prepared and is filled in a muslin cloth which is tied into a bundle and poured in a deep frying pan. The fried jilebis are then floated in sugar syrup. It is my favourite and I am sure yours will be too after you taste it. You must have a sweet tooth though.
    jilebi.jpg making jilebis.jpg

Image Source: wikimedia commons Image source: Pinterest