1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dhaka To Kolkata Train Ticket Price

Discussion in 'Bangladesh' started by Saleem, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Saleem

Saleem New Member

I am currently in Dhaka and have to be in Kolkata by mid-April. This will be my first trip and I need to book train tickets and require help from someone.
    I first need to know what the Dhaka to Kolkata train ticket price is, and then need to know what all of the train options are for the journey.

Can I book my Dhaka to Kolkata train ticket online?

Is travelling by train from Dhaka to Kolkata a good decision?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

delhi to kolkata train.jpg
    The Maitree Express, The India Bangladesh train service

Overview of The Maitree Express

The distance between Dhaka and Kolkata is about 459 kilometres. Going by train means that the total travel duration would be around 12 to 13 hours. The Maitree Express, also known as Friendship Express, was inaugurated in the year 2008. This is a joint venture of both the Indian Railways and the Bangladeshi Railways. It links the countries of India and Bangladesh by railway, which can be a very convenient way of travelling for Indian nationals, Bangladeshi nationals and foreigners. The trains go both directions, from Dhaka to Kolkata and from Kolkata to Dhaka.

Train Schedules from Dhaka to Kolkata

There are only two trains plying this route and they have schedules several times a week. Adding in the immigration checkpoints, total duration of journey would be around 13 hours.

Train Name and NumberDeparture Station - TimeArrival Station - TimeSchedule
    Maitree Express Train No. 13107Dhaka Kamalapur - 8:10Kolkata Chitpur - 18:10Friday and Sunday
    Maitree Express Train No. 13110Dhaka - 8:10Kolkata Chitpur - 18:10Wednesday and Saturday
    As you can see, the timings for the two trains are the same, both departs at 8:10 from the Dhaka Kamalapur Railway Station and arrives at the Kolkata Chitpur Railway Station at 18:10. The Maitree Express Train No. 13107 has schedules during Fridays and Sundays while the Maitree Express Train No. 13110 has schedules during Wednesdays and Saturdays.

How to Book Ticket for the Dhaka to Kolkata Train

Tickets cannot be booked online, unfortunately. You can book a ticket personally at the Dhaka Kamalapur Railway Station Reservation Counter. It is open daily from 9:00 to 17:00. Reservation for tickets open 10 days before the scheduled departure of the train. Also, prior to booking your ticket, you must have the following requirements:
    • Indian visa (Since you're coming from the Bangladeshi side)
    • Valid passport with at least 6 months of validity plus blank pages
    Only after showing these documents would a ticket be issued to you. On applying for an Indian visa, the port of entry must specifically say By Rail Gede. Only one-way tickets can be booked so if you need to go back to Dhaka, you must book a ticket again prior to your scheduled departure.

Train Schedules from Kolkata to Dhaka

Train Name and NumberDeparture Station - TimeArrival Station - TimeSchedule
    Maitree Express Train No. 13108Kolkata Chitpur - 7:10Dhaka - 18:00Monday and Saturday
    Maitree Express Train No. 13109Kolkata Chitpur - 7:10Dhaka - 18:00Tuesday and Friday
    For convenience purposes, and also for reference for others who might need this information, here are the train schedules from Kolkata to Dhaka. Trains departs from Kolkata Chitpur Railway Station at 7:10 and arrive in Dhaka Kamalapur Railway Station at 18:00. The Maitree Express Train No. 13108 has schedules during Mondays and Saturdays while the Maitree Express Train No. 13109 has schedules during Tuesdays and Fridays.

How to Book Ticket for the Kolkata to Dhaka Train

Tickets for this line cannot be booked online as well. You can book a ticket as early as 60 days before the scheduled departure. You have two options, either book a ticket from any of these counters:
    • Fairlie Place International Ticket Booking Counter in Dalhousie Square (Open daily from 8:00 to 20:00)
    • Kolkata Chitpur Railway Station Reservation Counter (Open only during Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 to 19:00)
    Also, prior to booking your ticket, you must have the following requirements again:
    • Bangladeshi visa (Since you're coming from the Indian side)
    • Valid passport with at least 6 months of validity plus blank pages
    On applying for a Bangladeshi visa, the port of entry must specifically say By Rail Darshana. These documents are necessary before the ticket can be booked for you.

Ticket Prices for the Maitree Express (Dhaka to Kolkata & Kolkata to Dhaka)

RouteFare for 1ACFare for 2SFare for CC
    Dhaka to KolkataTk. 1,819Tk. 168Tk. 604
    Kolkata to DhakaRs. 1,560Rs. 145Rs. 520
    So depending on where you're coming from, you have to pay in the local currency. But the fares are the same regardless and you have the options for a first class ticket, air-conditioned chair car ticket or second seater non air-conditioned ticket.

I hope this helps you.:)