1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diu to Daman by Sea Route

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Tanushree, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Tanushree

Tanushree New Member

I would like to know if there any sea route from Diu to Daman?

If there is what are the timings of the ferries which take you across to Daman and also the charges incurred?

How long would it take to reach Daman from Diu?

If there are no sea routes, is there any other way to reach Daman by sea, for example, a ride from the fishermen?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Tanushree!

Unfortunately, there are no ferries or boats from Diu to Daman. Supposed to be, before the year 1961, there were ferries plying from Daman to Diu. However they were discontinued after independence. There were several times that news came out that ferry services are to be installed in the region. But even up to now, none of these news came true. There are cruise services in both areas but these cruises do not reach the other side.

As I've said, there are no ferry services for Daman and Diu.

The distance between Daman to Diu is about 634 kms. If you're driving, you can reach Diu in about 12 to 14 hours. By bus, it can take longer sometimes even up to 18 hours. There are buses plying from Daman to Diu. Some of them are:

1. Private Buses. These buses depart from the ST Bus Depot in Daman. Some of them are:
    • Ekta Tours and Travels (Non-AC Sleeper) - Departs at 4:30 pm and arrives at 8:00 am. Fare is at Rs. 600 per person.
    • Bharat Express (Non-AC Sleeper) - Departs at 4:30 pm and arrives at 7:05 am. Fare is at Rs. 600 per person.
    2. GSRTC Buses. I was able to find only one timing for this bus:
    • GSRTC Bus - Departs at 1:10 pm from Daman and arrives at 8:30 pm to Diu. Fare is at Rs. 322 per person.

I don't think so. Even if you managed to hire a fisherman and his boat, it can cost thousands of rupees. I've also never heard about anyone being able to hire a fisherman to transfer them to Diu from Daman.

I hope this helps!

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Ferries were plying between Daman and Diu until there was a foreign rule so transport does not get disturbed in case there was unrest on land as transport of good was the main source of income for foreign rulers as they transported goods to Europe and other places. There is neither demand nor a necessity of sea transport between Daman and Diu which explains the absence of such a service. There had been talks but they are just talks and nothing has happened on the ground.