1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Documents required for Indian passport

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Pritesh, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Pritesh

Pritesh New Member

I am applying for my first ever passport, and I would like to know what all documents would be required for the application.

I would like to know before hand as if I don't have any of the necessary documents with me I would need them to be sent from my home, for which it may take some time.

I would also like to know whether we have to submit the original documents or xerox copies?

2. gamer2x

gamer2x New Member

You need to furnish the original copies as well, but you would need to submit the photo copies of the documents like:

• Address proof: This can be passbook xerox if its a nationalized bank or it can be electricity bill or ration card or aadhar card
    • Identity proof: Aadhar card or driving license or pan card
    Along with this 2 photos and also, you should be having a bank account for 2 years and you have to submit its record as well.

If you are having the aadhar card, the passport would be given in 2 weeks and the rest of the verification would be done later which is the fastest way to get the passport.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The requirements for applying for an Indian passport differ in some cases. So if you're a special case, you would need to check the website of Passport Seva to know what the requirements you might need.

However, generally, these are the requirements needed:

1. Proof of Address - These are the accepted proofs of address list:
    • Water Bill
    • Telephone (Landline or Mobile)
    • Electricity Bill
    • Income Tax Assessment Order
    • Election Commission Photo ID Card
    • Proof of Gas Connection
    • Certificate from Employer of Reputable Company
    • Spouse's Passport Copy (If your passport's address matches your spouse's address)
    • Parent's Passport Copy for Minors
    • Aadhaar Card
    • Registered Rent Agreement
    • Photo Passbook of Running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks and Regional Rural Banks)
    2. Proof of Date of Birth
    • Birth certificate issued by a Municipal Authority (Or any office authorized to issue Birth and Death Certificate by the Registrar of Births & Deaths)
    You would need to have an original copy for these documents as well as two photocopied versions.

Here is the procedure you need to follow to apply for an Indian passport:
    • Go to the Passport Seva website and register as a new user.
    • After registering as a new user, click on the Apply for Fresh Passport tab.
    • Then, you can either download the pdf of the application form or fill it up online. The former is more recommended as you can take your time in filling up the form.
    • Once you have completed the application form, you can upload your pdf again or if you completed it online, just press submit.
    • Then, you would need to book an appointment by clicking the link with the same name. You would need your ARN Number found in the applicant home page.
    • There's a fee of Rs. 1,500 for this appointment which you can pay via credit/debit card, bank deposit or bank draft.
    • You would then go to the office you chose in your application. Once you get there, you would show the documents and have your biometric information taken. You will then be given a Final Acknowledgement Receipt that you need to keep.
    It's not finished yet though. After two to three weeks, you would need to obtain a Police Clearance. Again, you would need all the original documents with photocopies here. Aside from that, you would need the signatures, names and addresses of two witnesses. After one to three weeks, your police clearance should be completed.

The last step would be the Local Intelligence Unit Verification. This is a simple interview wherein the officer will ask you about your family, residence and occupation. After about a month, your passport will be sent to your postal address.

I hope this helps!

4. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Getting a passport is very easy these days. All you need is An Id proof, address proof(Your present address where you have been staying for at least five years; or else use your permanent address ie your ancestral home address), age proof and passport sized photographs and also graduation certificate or any Technical or professional qualification proof for ECNR. Scan all the documents and upload then online when you apply online. fees of Rs. 1500 can be paid via Debit/ credit card or by Bank Chalan. One its done you can get a date for personal interview to your nearest Passport Seva Kendra. Remember to carry all your original documents and be on time because the person lining up after you gets in in your absence, then you may have to wait for hours. Once it is done your file will be sent to your local Police Station and you have to appear before the concerned officer.