1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Indian Food Contain MSG?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mia, May 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mia

Mia New Member

I will be a foreigner visiting India soon, and one thing which I am quite worried about is the food there, I have heard that most of the food served in restaurants contains MSG, which is not good for the health.

If a food outlet uses, MSG do they clearly state it or admit to it that they use it?

To avoid having food containing MSG what should I do?

I don't have any issues really, but I don't want to get ill while on holiday especially when I am away from home.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Indian food traditionally does not have MSG as no dishes require MSG to be used. MSG is a recent ingredient with influx of Chinese dishes and home grown Tibetian dishes like Momos and chow mien etc. Any Chinese dishes that are served in India would generally contain MSG. If you tell the restaurant staff that you are allergic to MSG they would be a bit more honest and straight forward about ingredients but otherwise some places do use MSG.

We already have another thread about MSG in Indian food which you may find useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.