1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dominant Language In India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Pauline, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Pauline

Pauline New Member

For those who are regular on the forum would know that I am currently writing an essay on India covering all subjects, from food to ways of living. A topic that is soon which I would need to write up is the dominant language in India. I know that Hindi is commonly spoken in most parts of India, but then there are some parts where Hindi is not spoken or understood at all.

Please, can members provide some information about the dominant language in India and provide information about the language that is spoken in states where Hindi is not the dominant language.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There is no single dominant language in India. Hindi is most widely spoken but in some states in South India you wont find many people who even understand Hindi as Hindi is mostly spoken in North Indian Ganges plains. Every state has their own language.

Knowing Hindi is no guarantee that you would be understood across India, English on the other hand is a language which is spoken and understood by most educated people across the country. I myself speak English when I go to South India as Hindi does not work there. In North India as well you would get on fine if you know English.

3. Talking Monkey

Talking Monkey New Member

In almost every office English is the primary language especially the central government offices. Every official paper is available in English in addition to local languages and Hindi.

There is no single dominant language in India. English is probably the only language that would help you keep out of trouble every where you go in India ;)