1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dominant Language In Mauritius?

Discussion in 'Mauritius' started by BayouBilly, Oct 8, 2015.

1. BayouBilly

BayouBilly New Member

I was wondering if there was a dominant language in the main part of Mauritius..

Is it mostly french? English? Something else?

I've always been curious about this, especially hearing from someone whose been there before. Can't get all the information you need online.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Hmm that's an interesting question! All I know about Mauritius is from a kid that I went to elementary school with (years ago now!) whose family was from there! He and his family spoke English but I think his parents knew French too - and his family name was also of French origin. Interestingly enough I took a look online and apparently no "official" language is denoted for Mauritius so I guess either works!

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As far as I'm aware Mauritius is multi ethnic and multicultural, so it's made up of people of various backgrounds and cultures and @amelia88 is right saying they don't have just one official language.

I've never been I'd imagine that English would be the dominant language if there is one. I wonder how many other places don't actually have a language listed for that particular country?

4. Arabella Seebaluck

Arabella Seebaluck New Member

I am Mauritian. Main language is Creole - which is spoken by everyone and is a form of broken French. We also speak French, English and some Indian languages - mainly Hindi and Bhojpuri - depending on ethnic origin. Happy to help if you have any other questions :)

GinaMax and amelia88 like this.
  5. Vaishali Mishra

Vaishali Mishra New Member

Would it be easy/possible to rent a small flat or studio near a beach for 3-4 months ? If yes, where should I look and any websites that deal with renting?

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

When I was there, I had no trouble speaking English. I went into bars, restaurants, shops, and spoke English without problem. Either they knew English, knew enough of it, or knew how to respond without problem. My friend was able to speak French to several tourists, and to some locals. I think you will find the locals to be quite accommodating when it comes to the main, international languages. That was my experience, at least. Of course, I always believe visitors should try their best to speak with the locals in their language.

7. Arabella Seebaluck

Arabella Seebaluck New Member

Lexpress property : Le 1er portail immobilier de l'Île Maurice

Do you have any specific areas you are looking for? I also usually stay at this place when am home, because it's just totally gorgeous:

Bed and Breakfast Chill Pill, location de chambres à Mahébourg

8. Normad

Normad New Member

I have a friend who honeymooned in Mauritius not so long ago. She says that they spoke mostly English where she was. It's a multi cultural country and they speak a number of different languages including French and Creole. I think you will have no trouble communicating while you're there.