1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five Amazing Facts Of India That You May Not Know !

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by travelguide, Oct 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Do you know below amazing facts about India. I bet you are not aware of them all :

- Every 12 years a religious gathering called "Kumba Mela" occurs in India which is the world's largest gathering of people. It is even visible from the space.
    -Takshila is the first ever university in the world, started in 700 BC
    - India has the largest English speaking population in the world
    - in a village called Shani Shingnapur you can't find any doors to houses. People there believe that those who steal anything from this village will come under the wrath of Shani God and will have to pay for it. Quite interestingly there is no police station there.
    - India is the world's largest importer of arms and India never attacked or invaded any country.

mayasupernova and SusieQ like this.

2. moondebi

moondebi New Member

The fourth one is truly interesting. I never had any clue about this one.

The honesty of the people makes the place stand out. It is indeed a breather for our police force, which is anyway in shortage of manpower as for the actual requirement. Let’s see, how long the department could enjoy such a respite.

Anyway, the list has enriched me with another fact that India is the largest English speaking nation. Sprawling population sometimes has some advantages too!

SusieQ likes this.

3. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Wonderful stuff, many thanks for sharing these. The Kumbh mela is an amazing festival, my brother-in-law went in 2013 and called it the best experience of his life, there were reported to be 120 million people there, thats twice the population of the whole UK, unbelievable and magnificent. Even the town in England I live in has a mela every year as Indian culture becomes more popular over here. The last fact is the reason why India really is the greatest country in the World, there are very few other places in the World as spiritual and peaceful.

SusieQ likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oooh! A few things I didn't know on the list, particularly that India has the largest English speaking population in the world. I also thought it was neat that the first ever university was started there!

I too love that India has never invaded anywhere else, that concept of peace is wonderful especially in this day and age.

SusieQ likes this.
  5. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

India is also the largest exporter of Beef in the world but you would be surprised to know that cow slaughter is not legal in India with an exception of 4-5 states where there are a lot of restriction but under some circumstances a Cow can be killed for meat.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That one is a big surprise to me! I knew that cows were a sacred animal in the Hindu culture so to think India is the biggest exporter of beef absolutely was a shock! I'm learning a lot of new stuff through this thread!

SusieQ likes this.
  7. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

Wow, the number 3 on the list is hardly believable I never knew that India has the largest English speaking population in the world, but I doubt if everybody who is counted as knowing English in India is able to fluently speak, write and understand it. I would love to see a source for information and see if the data can be further divided into sub categories. Thank you for posting once again.

8. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 New Member

Wow! Those are some really great facts. I love the one about the village with no doors. That is how things should be. I think it's great there is actually something like this going on in the world. It gives me hope for the rest of it.
    I also thought it was neat that the festival can be seen from space! That is seriously huge!

SusieQ likes this.
  9. Delirium

Delirium Member

I came in here expecting to know at least half of the facts listed, but oops. Guess not. I very highly doubt some of these though..

"Every 12 years a religious gathering called "Kumba Mela" occurs in India which is the world's largest gathering of people. It is even visible from the space."
    Are you sure? People also said that the Great Wall of China was also visible from space. It's not. I very highly doubt that a group of people would be actually visible from space, unless they happen to be carrying a lot of light-emitting objects.

"Takshila is the first ever university in the world, started in 700 BC"
    First time I heard this! I've always thought that the first university in the world was opened in the United Kingdom. That's clearly wrong, but are you sure? I looked it up and saw that the first university in the world was actually from Morocco or something. There were also a bunch of other universities listed as the first.

10. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I have read about the Shani Shingnapur and it is amazing that the village has no locks as people who would even steal would suffer from the Shani god, and if someone did do a robbery would still find themselves in the village, even though they have walked far away from the place. I did not know the country has the highest record of English speakers and this is interesting and reckon that this is something I am surprised about, and I used to think English was used but not much like in the Indian movies where Hindi is spoken. The Kumba Mela is a big festival, which is interesting and this can bring many people together form all walks of life and also think that tourists can enjoy the different sorts of food and meeting the local people in the area.

11. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Oh wow, the fact about Shani Shingnapur is really interesting so I went and searched for it. Apparently, there has been cases of theft in the area. Before 2010, no theft was reported but at that year cash and items were stolen from a vehicle (does this count though). Then in 2011, some valuable items were stolen from a retired official's home. Then in 2012, some valuables were stolen from the temple itself. However, these numbers are still low if we take into account the fact that their houses are just open without doors and also that their valuables are not in cabinets or safe deposits. It's truly amazing to know this trivia about India.

I also didn't know that India has the highest population of English speakers. I'd imagine this would be America or some other Western country. Still, this is great information as when a population knows how to speak English well, there are more job opportunities for them especially across the globe. And I think there are so many Indian nationals that work abroad as well now.

12. odili500

odili500 New Member

Those are really interesting! I thought the universities in the UK were old, but 700BC?! Wow.
    I also didn't know that India has never invaded another country. That's something worth being proud of in my opinion.

13. Rimanana

Rimanana New Member

Great stuff here in this thread. The last fact amazed me. It just proves that a peaceful country can remain peaceful no matter how many arms they control.

14. innaf93

innaf93 Member

India is so amazing and many more under the stereotypes. Western people really should go and explore it, and not just in guided tours and luxury hotels but the people leaving, breathing there. Not mentioning the spiritual and ethical ways can learn from them.

15. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It is widely believed to be the largest gathering but the numbers are not reflective of people present at a given time but over the course of the festival. If you go by number of people that are present at a given time then it is Sabarimala temple that gets more than 5 Million people gathered at one time. Sabarimala temple is also the most visited shrine in the world if you want to count yearly numbers.

16. SusieQ

SusieQ New Member

These are truly some wonderful facts to know about India. I had no idea! Makes me feel better about the possibility of travel there.

17. sapphire_jamie

sapphire_jamie New Member

Thank you for the information. I admire India now more than ever. Is it true that Indians don't put deodorants in their armpits? I am just curious. But I have the impression that Indians are intellectual people. Meanwhile, I was amazed that they do have that festival where in people who attend can be traced from the space because of so many people in attendance. I think Indians value their festivals and gods much.

18. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I have to say that i did not know any of these facts. It is absolutely amazing. I don't know which one a like more. I think doorless village is my favourite. When i read about that i thought about doing it here in Serbia and i burst into laughs. It would be chaotic. I mean no doors and no police would be worse than a war. I admire people with that level of honesty and love. Simply amazing. The rest of the facts are not less amazing either. Please share some more interesting facts. This is so good to know. I believe i am among 1 percent of people in Serbia aware of these. Thank you.

19. mayasupernova

mayasupernova New Member

It is so interesting to know more about India and thank you for listing these wonderful things about India.
    I found the forth one about the village pretty interesting. how do they get into the house, if there are no doors?
    Also, I knew the last one about India never attacking or invading any country. Pretty impressive!

20. lstryhrn

lstryhrn New Member

-Takshila is the first ever university in the world, started in 700 BC... This is amazing. I would love to visit there. Its very rare to find something that old now a days.

21. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Very intresting facts...Thanks for Sharing

22. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

Nice facts list. Thank you for sharing! I'm surprised to know that India is the 3rd largest exporter of arms in the world. Do you know if they are manufacturing the items there, or merely obtaining them from other countries like Russia, China, USA, etc and then reselling them elsewhere?

The part about the town with no doors kind of reminds me how my dad said things used to be in the 1940's and 50's. There's no way people could do that today. Not even in the nicest neighborhoods or suburbs can they do that. It's nice to know that there are still places in the world, and in India, where you don't have to worry about people stealing things. Religiously or not, it's good to know that still exists out there.

23. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Interestingly, these facts were known to me. I have explanation for last point.Since India and Pakistan are always in war like situation, it is mandatory for the Indian government to equip their soldiers with arms.

24. swalia

swalia Guest

Here are another few surprising facts about India which I bet many of us didn't know-
    • India's ISRO Chandrayaan- 1 using its Moon Mineralogy Mapper detected water on the moon for the first time in September 2009.
    • The first rocket in India was so light and small that it was transported on a bicycle to the Thumba Launching Station in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
    • Diamonds were first mined in India.
    • India has a floating post office in Dal Lake, Srinagar which was inaugurated in August 2011.

25. Barbiebarbie73

Barbiebarbie73 New Member

The kumba mela sounds fascinating. Is it a religious gathering, or more of a cultural one? Whatever it is to sheerly attract so many people it must be very important and something magnificent to be a part of and experience. Does anybody know when the next one is?