1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Locations For Painting?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Cookie, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Cookie

Cookie Member

I really enjoy painting as a hobby and plan to take a sketchbook and small kit with me when I travel. Are there any places in India that are famous for attracting artists? Like how Montmartre was (and still is) an artistic haven within Paris?

2. copicgo

copicgo New Member

I have to follow this thread, now. I am a very artistic person myself, and I love sketching from real life.

To piggy back off of this thread, would anyone be able to recommend popular sites where lots of people gather as well? I imagine painting would be fantastic for natural scenery like forests, rivers, and the like... I'm more drawn to people, personally, so any chance to draw new characters is a big hit for me.

3. Cookie

Cookie Member

Hi copicgo (is that name because you use Copic markers? ;)), good to see another arty type here. I'm really bad at drawing people - they never seem to come out how I want them to! But I can imagine that a busy scene might be a good opportunity to try and capture the feeling of rush and bustle, so I might add that to my 'to try' list. Perhaps a train station or somewhere would be good?

4. paudu

paudu Member

That sounds just lovely! I'm afraid I'm no artist, but the idea of sitting with a sketch pad and capturing the color and beauty of the culture is very appealing.

5. Cookie

Cookie Member

Believe me, I'm no Renoir myself, paudu! My paintings are relatively abstract so I don't generally capture realistic detail - it's good as it means I never feel like I got it 'wrong'. You should give it a try some time!