1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Comfortable Are Overnight Buses?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chanterelle, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

I read somewhere that some have beds and I am wondering if that is a better choice than the reclining seats. Are they usually well heated or air-conditioned? I'm not particularly looking for luxury, but I do like to feel comfortable, have some privacy and get at least a few hours sleep on an overnight journey,

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

You will find both type of buses, reclining seat and ones with beds in them. Volvo buses are the ones you want for both reclining seats and sleeper ones because other buses are uncomfortable. I have never traveled on a sleeper bus so cannot comment but my only journey on a Volvo bus with 2X2 seas was excellent even though the roads were not the best. Suspension in Volvo buses make up for the bad roads and they are airconditioned.

Here is what to expect on a Volvo sleeper bus :

2-ac_sleeper_volvo_by_msrtc-bccl.jpg

3. It is generally preferable to go by the private Volvo buses. They have sleeper and AC buses too for long night journeys. They are pretty comfortable and usually there is some kind of entertainment available on board to spend time on the long journey.

4. barbara

barbara New Member

Do they advertise what type of bus you will be taking when you book your travel or tour? For all the tours I've read I don't remember them saying what type of bus they use.

5. Neve

Neve New Member

I am not a big fan of overnight trips because I never seem to be able to sleep in a sitting position; even on a reclining seat. I always need to be really comfortable in order to be able to fall asleep. However, these Volvo buses look pretty good actually. Are they very expensive?

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well it probably depends on who you are asking because it certainly depends on the person. I know that I would say a definite no to if they are comfortable and I have never been able to sleep in anything moving my entire life. No car, no bus, no plane, no train...the list goes on. That said, my brother, on the other hand, would say that it is just fine because he can fall asleep anywhere that he wants to as long as he is tired. It just depends on who you ask in my opinion.

7. xTinx

xTinx Member

The Volvo buses appear comfortable and they look clean enough for anyone to sleep on. You can try this bus. It's probably what you need particularly if there are 10 or so hours of travel time. So far, I've only ridden an ordinary bus and hopefully, in one of my future travels, I'd get to ride a Volvo bus (or any other bus of the same quality) in the future.

8. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I only took one overnight bus, and it was hilarious. It was going from Jaisalmer. Sadly, I can't remember which sort of bus it was, which isn't very useful for you, but it definitely didn't look like the photo above. My friend and I were in a little glass-fronted box compartment that we had to climb a ladder to reach. There wasn't space for us to sit up. We could just about lift ourselves up on our elbows, and we lay down with our feet at each other's heads, because it wasn't really wide enough for us to lie with our shoulders next to each other, either. I don't remember much about the journey itself, which I think is a good thing - there are no horrible memories that have seared themselves on to my consciousness. It wasn't a very long journey, which I think made it better, too. I bet I'd have clearer memories of it if it had been one of the really long trips. Whichever sort you end up with, it's definitely better than the ones where you just have seats. Those can be really, really uncomfortable, particularly for long periods of time.

9. gerbera

gerbera New Member

Those are quite the comfortable looking beds on that bus. How are the drivers who drive those buses. Do they take care not to swerve or drive headlong into traffic coming the other way?

10. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Usually, the drivers in charge of the bus are experts of their craft (if their salary is anything to judge them by). Not only that, most of the time, the routes that these overnight journey buses follow are the longer ones (Through one-way laned National Highways) with very little traffic.