Are Overnight Trains Safe?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Igor, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Igor

Igor New Member

I was looking at the train schedules online and realized that there are several long distance trains as well as medium distance ones that ply overnight to their destinations. I want to ask anyone who has traveled in these overnight trains - are they safe?

2. Rocky

Rocky New Member

They are very safe and I travel in them regularly. I go from Delhi to Mumbai very often and use the overnight trains which are the fastest and most convenient. When you sleep most of the journey gets covered in the train.

3. Travguy

Travguy Member

Trains are a very convenient way to get around a country when air fares can be too expensive. I have traveled by train whenever I can and spent a fraction of the money that I would have if I flew.

4. xTinx

xTinx Member

I'm sure those trains adhere to safety rules and regulations in accordance with established laws. Otherwise, they wouldn't be given license to operate even at night time. The Indian government must have seen to that already. It's cheaper compared to flying and you can have a closer glimpse of the passing scenery.

5. grace

grace New Member

I think the overnight trains are fairly safe. Remember to keep your belongings in your hands or hidden where you are sleeping. I wouldn't leave them out where anybody can come along and take them.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well when it comes to safety I have just always had the assumption that the worst is going to happen, which means just be prepared. I have had no negative experiences in my travels but we all hear the warnings and the stories, and they are there for a reason. It is just best to make sure that you know as much as you can about where you are and where you can go, and it always helps to travel with others. On the whole though, yes they are probably safe but just be extra careful.

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Trust me, overnight train are safe.I have traveled overnight train many times and have not encountered a single bad incidents. I have traveled from Gorakhpur to Manglore, which takes three nights and never encountered any problems. However you must be cautious with your luggage.

8. Overnight trains are relatively safe but it a dependent a lot on what areas you are travelling through. If you are making a very long journey which has many stops along the way it is better to try for direct trains we as few stops as possible. Also you must be very careful while travelling through Naxal-infested regions like Chattisgarh and Jharkhand, and also UP/Bihar because people can be very rude and violent and may even try to steal your stuff.

9. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Trains are one of the safest modes of travelling long distances in India. Especially on ones which are labelled 'Superfast' or 'Express' (These guys make very little stops along the way. A prime example would be the famed Rajdhani Express and Darjeeling Mail.) These trains have their own dedicated police crews that work throughout the night to ensure the safety of the passengers on board. So, if you're travelling long distances these trains are the best choice. On the other hand, trains that have numerous stops on the way are not necessarily a good choice for a long distance journey, because not only do they not have their own police crew, but also they stop at some remote places that count some shady people among their denizens.