1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Occupy Yourself On Long Haul Flights?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 5, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I know a lot of people that just manage to sleep all the way through long haul flights. Sadly, I'm not one of those lucky people! I can occasionally get a couple of hours sleep, but I just don't have the ability to sleep sitting up most of the time!

I try and get a magazine or two at the airport, and I'll usually bring my kindle too with a few books loaded on to it. I used to bring paper books, but realistically these days it's too heavy lugging them around! That's why e-books are a travellers dream!

I even sometimes bring things like crossword puzzle books or Sudoku to occupy some time. Also, music/movies loaded onto an electronic device are also good - or the in flight entertainment. A couple of movies are fun to relax with and kill a decent chunk of time!

What about you?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It depends on the length of the flight obviously, and what sort of entertainment is provided. If I have the chance to watch a film then I normally pass the time watching that, then maybe do a bit of reading, then the rest of the time I will just try and sleep for the rest of the journey.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I've ever mnaged to get a decent sleep on a flight yet, but if you can get your head down for at least part of the journey, it's probably the best way to kill some time.

amelia88 likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yeah, the times when I have been fortunate enough to fall asleep have been awesome because the time does pass a lot easier than when you are just constantly staring at the in flight map seeing how many extra miles you've travelled...and then checking it again in 5 minutes...and again...I'm the worst for doing that.

4. Delirium

Delirium Member

I usually just read books and/or play games on my phone. I have a pretty small carry on backpack that I bring pretty much everywhere I travel to, it's practically my best friend. I usually put maybe 2-4 books in the bag, depending how big (and heavy) the books are. I don't really mind the weight because I'm pretty used to carrying a lot of weight everywhere. Probably not good for my back but hey. Kindles and iPads are a great alternative for most people, but not me. My eyes just can't handle reading from a digital screen for a prolonged amount of time, it strains my eyes way too much. Plus the battery could be a bit of a problem sometimes. With paper books you never have to worry about any of that.

amelia88 likes this.
  5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The biggest thing I hate about using my kindle is that I don't get to enjoy that "new book smell". That probably makes me sound weird, but I just love that fresh smell when you open a crisp new book!

6. debilechat

debilechat New Member

I ALWAYS fall asleep on any car or bus journey, regardless of length but for some reason I never seem to be able to sleep on a long flight!

My favourite thing to pass the time is always the in-flight entertainment system. I rarely have the chance to watch films in my normal life so I take it as an opportunity to watch new releases or films from the country I am travelling to! It doesn't make the flight any more comfortable but the time does seem to pass a little more quickly!

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think when it comes to travelling, especially on a long haul flight, it is a boring experience, and no matter what you try and do to relieve the boredom it will always be in the back of your mind that your just killing time.

Then again, without the flight you wouldn't be able to get to most of the places you want to in the world so maybe see it as all part of the experience and try and make the most of it.

amelia88 likes this.
  8. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I've been travelling for a long time so I already have a good answer for this. While waiting at the airport I usually have a good pocket book packed in my hand carry luggage, something I can finish in a week the involves a lot of mystery/thriller themes to get myself out of the boredom of waiting. On the plane I usually being out my smartphone or tablet and listen to my playlists on Spotify. Sometimes I pre-download some audiobooks on the flight so I can read somewhat despite the turbulence.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Very true, @pwarbi ! I guess even though flying long distances can be a pain, it's amazing to think how many parts of the world I've been able to visit as a result. If I went back to even my parents day, flying was such a luxury that it wasn't really something they could afford (especially when you add the expense of kids into the mix!)

I should try and remember how lucky I am to even have the opportunity to be able to fly, and not focus on the fact that sometimes it can be a frustrating experience!

pwarbi likes this.
  10. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I like to put movies on my laptop and watch them in between naps. I also play games on my laptop to pass the time. I listen to music and read books too. Reading is fun, but I feel bad turning on the light late at night while people are trying to sleep.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

We are lucky to be able to travel as much as we do, and I think we sometimes take for granted that fact. Like I said, while sometimes it can be a poor experience, I'd rather have the option to fly than not be able to travel at all.

amelia88 likes this.
  12. Delirium

Delirium Member

Oh my God, I know! Is new book smell not the best smell ever? I love them so much. I hate that we lose the smell overtime as well, but I just kinda accept it. Though! My brother is an avid book reader as well and he use these to 'keep' the smell:

New-Book-Smell.jpg

(Not the exact one, but similar)

He just really put them inbetween the books overnight. The next morning it should smell like new again. I haven't tried it yet, but according to him it's effective! It's probably not the best, but it's better than not having the smell at all. I want to try it but they can cost quite a lot and I'm often a bit tight on the money so I haven't really gotten them.

13. Rimanana

Rimanana New Member

For me, books are invaluable because they never run out of battery and are an endless source of entertainment! Of course I have my phone and my iPod to listen to but books and puzzles are a reliable source of entertainment on long haul flights.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

A few people now have mentioned kindle's and devices such as that. Are people allowed to use them on flights because I'm never sure what is and isn't allowed.

I know that using your phone on a plane is frowned upon so is a kindle the same or are they perfectly safe?

15. Rimanana

Rimanana New Member

Yeah kindles are definitely okay to use on a flight as long as you're not connected to the Internet when taking off and landing. Hope this helped!

pwarbi likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It does as I'm always unsure about this. A few times I've been on a plane and while people have been turning the phones off, they've all then turned their kindles on and I often wondered if there was a difference.

17. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yeah I think the only issue is takeoff/landing (they still class them as electronic devices!) and as long as they're not connected to a wifi service when they're on. But apart from that, they're just fine!

pwarbi likes this.
  18. debilechat

debilechat New Member

I think even that is changing. I always turn on flight mode on my kindle and have been able to keep reading even through takeoff and landing on some flights but one airline asked me to turn it off until we were in the air.

19. innaf93

innaf93 Member

First of all, a book that I haven't started yet, like if the story begins as I begin to travel it really can get me in the mood to read the whole book in one go. It's nice because I have certain memories of traveling and being in the story, like I was in the book for sure.

Also listening to music, but my ears can get tired after a while, I don't know if anyone else felt this? I mean I listen to music for maybe two or three hours, then i get the earbuds out and somehow the world just doesn't make sense anymore.

20. debilechat

debilechat New Member

Hahahaha. innaf93,I know what you mean! Ear fatigue is real. I find I feel the same way if I watch too many films on the plane in a row. It's frustrating because the films are definitely the best way to pass time for me but then it starts to feel like sensory overload!

21. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm also well aware of the old ear fatigue syndrome, especially ever since I was listening to music in a flight once and closed my eyes. I ended up falling asleep and 6 hours later waking up with the music still playing!

I couldn't hear a thing for about a day after that!

22. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

If I'm traveling with a partner or somebody keeping ourselves occupied is easier we can play board games or a game with each other or just simply plan out Our trip because we can never be too prepared. However if I'm by myself I'll probably watch movies or conversate with the person next to me and sleep too.

23. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

My longest flight was less then two hours and i was sleeping whole time. I like to sleep while moving so cars, buses, air planes or any other transport like boats or cruisers that allow me to sleep are just great for me. Usually this is because I get tired during everyday life chores and my job and when my holiday comes I rest on a way to it. However, 12-hour-flight is not easy to sleep through even for me. Music and some movie would do the trick. I guess they wouldn't let me play the guitar so my options are limited.

24. Geena

Geena New Member

A simple good book works wonders for me.

Whether taking the flights, trains or buses, books have been my greatest companion. Like you, I'm such a light sleeper that I rarely got to sleep on long travel. But if there are good movies available on the flight, I'd be hogging that the whole time.

25. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I just took an in country flight over the weekend and wifi was enabled on the plane! It was only a 3 hour flight but it was so nice to be able to use the internet and get a few things done, send some emails, check social media...that certainly made the time go faster!

26. jaden11218

jaden11218 New Member

If it's more than a six hour flight, I would ask for little bit of Smirnoff when we take off. That usually helps me to sleep most of the flight, which can really help depending on timezone changes. Also most flights I take have TVs on the back of each seat, so if I can't nap then I will watch movies or play with whatever other features are included. If I'm lucky and get a window seat then I watch the ground as we fly. If the people sitting around you seem friendly or bored, they may be interested in having a conversation, which is really fun when you're from different countries. I'm from the U.S. and was seated beside a man from England once. It was the most interesting conversation I'd had in a while.