1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Is The Weather In Chennai?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by H.Dua, Jan 2, 2018.

1. H.Dua

H.Dua New Member

Hi Forum,

I am getting a job transfer to Chennai in a couple of months. I have only been to Chennai once in the month of May and it was boiling hot.

As I would now be living there for the next three years I need to know how is the weather in Chennai throughout the year?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

We already have a detailed thread on Chennai weather with a slightly different title : Weather in Chennai.

3. Krug

Krug New Member

Chennai, located in the southern part of India, experiences a tropical climate. The city generally has warm and humid weather throughout the year, with distinct wet and dry seasons. Here's an overview of the weather in Chennai throughout the year:

1. Summer (March to June):
      • Summers in Chennai are hot and typically last from March to June.
      • Temperatures can often soar above 35°C (95°F) and can reach up to 40°C (104°F) during peak summer months, especially in May and June.
      • The humidity levels are high during this period, making it feel even hotter.
    2. Monsoon (June to September):
      • Chennai experiences the Southwest Monsoon, which brings the majority of its rainfall.
      • The city receives most of its annual rainfall during this period, with heavy showers and occasional thunderstorms.
      • The monsoon season starts in June and lasts through September.
    3. Post-Monsoon (October to December):
      • After the monsoon season, the weather becomes more pleasant and cooler.
      • October and November are generally warm but less humid, with temperatures ranging from 25°C to 30°C (77°F to 86°F).
    4. Winter (January to February):
      • Winter in Chennai is relatively mild and comfortable.
      • Temperatures during this season range from 20°C to 28°C (68°F to 82°F).
      • It's considered the best time to visit Chennai due to the pleasant weather.
    It's important to note that while Chennai can get quite hot during the summer, the coastal location provides some relief compared to inland areas. The sea breeze can make evenings and mornings more comfortable.

Given that you'll be living in Chennai for the next three years, it's a good idea to prepare for the heat during the summer months and ensure that your accommodation has appropriate cooling systems. Additionally, you can look forward to the relatively milder and pleasant weather during the post-monsoon and winter seasons.

Make sure to check local weather forecasts and conditions as they can vary from year to year, and be prepared for the monsoon season, which can sometimes lead to flooding in certain parts of the city.