1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Is The Weather In Kolkata?

Discussion in 'West Bengal' started by Benni, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Benni

Benni New Member

My best friend I want to explore some new places in India, rather than the regular hill stations everyone goes too, we have decided that our first destination is going to be Kolkata. We would like to find out how the weather in Kolkata is?
    We can then decide upon a suitable time to visit the state.

2. Karan

Karan Member

The weather in Kolkata stays quite pleasant throughout the year. The temperature does increase and can reach 40c from the months April to June, that's when summers start and you will find it to be quite humid too. The temperature drops and goes back into the low 30's in July onwards. You are bound to find monsoons everywhere in India and in Kolkata, you will find most rain during the months of June, July, August, and September.
    Winters don't last that long and you would find temperatures drop for about 2 months during December and January.

kolkata weather.jpg

3. Shin

Shin New Member

Hi all, Is anyone from Kolkata able to tell me the weather during this month October and November? I want to visit during the Navratri festivals and experience the Bengali culture durga pooja, and it would be good to know what the weather is like, so my family can go prepared.

4. Karan

Karan Member

The weather in Kolkata during October and November is generally pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities and festivals like Durga Puja, which is a major celebration in Bengal. Here's what you can expect in terms of weather during these months:

October:

• Temperature: During October, Kolkata experiences a gradual transition from the rainy season to the post-monsoon period. Daytime temperatures range from 28°C to 34°C (82°F to 93°F), making it warm and comfortable for outdoor activities.
    • Humidity: Humidity levels begin to decrease, making the weather more enjoyable. However, it can still feel somewhat humid, especially in the early part of October.
    • Rainfall: Rainfall decreases significantly in October, and you can expect only occasional showers or drizzles.
    • Festivals: Durga Puja, one of the most significant festivals in Kolkata, usually occurs in October. The city comes alive with beautifully decorated pandals (temporary temples) and cultural celebrations.
    November:

• Temperature: November marks the onset of the post-monsoon and pre-winter season in Kolkata. Daytime temperatures range from 20°C to 30°C (68°F to 86°F). It's cooler than October but still quite comfortable.
    • Humidity: Humidity levels continue to decrease, creating a more pleasant atmosphere.
    • Rainfall: Rainfall is minimal in November, and you can expect dry and clear days.
    • Festivals: While Durga Puja typically concludes by the end of October, you may still witness cultural events and festivities in early November.
    Overall, October and November are excellent months to visit Kolkata and experience the vibrancy of Durga Puja and other cultural events. The weather is relatively mild, making it a comfortable time for outdoor exploration and festivities. Just keep in mind that the weather can vary slightly from year to year, so it's a good idea to check a reliable weather forecast closer to your travel dates for more precise information.