1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many zeros in 1 crore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by AashitaV, Oct 14, 2016.

1. AashitaV

AashitaV New Member

I have been looking at properties in India as I have been advised that it is a good investment buying properties. There are a few I have seen which I also like, but the price has been given in crores, wich we don't use here. I need to know how many zeros there are in 1 crore, so I can work out how much the property is in Canadian dollars.

Thank you for the help.

2. djtravels

djtravels Member

1cr = 10 million rupees ~ 200,000 CAD
    With taxes, fees, and all, it will be around 200k canadian dollars.

Also, make sure you know state or UT specific land laws before buying. There are places where you can't buy a property if you're from another state, so if you're from another country or an NRI, the laws will definitely be against you. Hire a lawyer. Don't buy from some agent, buy directly from builders/owners and that too only trusted builders. Buy a property that's either ready for posession or will be ready within a year. Anything longer is a risk because delays can happen and you won't be around to handle things.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

So for a first time foreigner or tourist, understanding the money and numbering system of India can be a bit confusing. For larger numbers, the use of the Vedic numbering system has been adapted in the country. Thus, you would find terms such as crore, lakh and more in the Indian numbering system. They are quite simple though when explained correctly. Here's a table highlighting the numbering system of the country:

Indian Numbering System - A Comparison with International Numbering System

International FigureInternational UnitIndian FigureIndian Unit
    1One1One
    1,000One Thousand1,000One Thousand
    10,000Ten Thousand10,000Ten Thousand
    100,000One Hundred Thousand1,00,000One Lakh
    1,000,000One Million10,00,000Ten Lakhs
    10,000,000Ten Million1,00,00,000One Crore
    100,000,000One Hundred Million10,00,00,000Ten Crores
    1,000,000,000One Billion1,00,00,00,000One Arab
    1,000,000,000,000One Trillion10,00,00,00,00,000One Lakh Crore

As you can see, up to the figure of 10,000, it is depicted as the same in both in the Indian and International numbering systems. Thus, you won't have any issue up to this figure. As you come across the higher figures, you would notice the use of the terms lakh and crore.

Lakh simply means a hundred thousand. So if you come across one lakh, it just means one hundred thousand or if you come across ten lakhs, it just means one million. If you come across 1.5 lakhs, that just simply means 150,000.

On the other hand, crore means ten million. In one crore, there are seven zeros, which means that it is equivalent to 10 million. If you come across 10 crores, that just means 100 million. If you come across 15 crores, that just means 150 million.

Yet it gets more confusing if you come across terms like one lakh crore, but this just simply means one trillion. And if you come across a term arab, it just means one billion.

So in your case, one crore is equivalent to ten million. If converting one crore rupees, that is equivalent to about 199,343 Canadian dollars.

I hope this helps you!:)

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There are 7 zeros in 1 crore.

Zeros in crore : 10000000

As you can see thats 7 zeros.