1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much luggage is allowed in Air India?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by MayankM, Oct 2, 2016.

1. MayankM

MayankM New Member

I am getting a flight from Delhi to London Heathrow on the 10th October. I have been trying to find out about the luggage allowance for this particular route but have been unsuccessful.

I don't want to be paying money for the extra luggage I have and would rather keep within bounds and need to know exactly how much luggage is allowed in Air India?
    Please also mention any hand luggage information as well.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

Air India has strict policies regarding baggage allowances in flight. For the carry on allowance, it's the same for all classes and even for both international and domestic flights.

Carry On Allowance for Air India Passengers (Domestic and International)
    • Economy Class - Up to 8 kilograms, 1 piece per passenger
    • First Class - Up to 8 kilograms, 1 piece per passenger
    • Executive Class - Up to 8 kilograms, 1 piece per passenger
    Furthermore, there are also dimensions that you need to follow in order for your carry on luggage to fit into the cabin compartment. You need to make sure that your carry on luggage fits into these dimensions, otherwise, they won't fit into the cabin.

Dimensions for Carry On Luggage
    • 55 centimetres x 40 centimetres x 20 centimetres
    Aside from the carry on luggage, you are also permitted to bring one more personal item which can be a hand bag, a blanket, laptop and reading materials. Just make sure that the personal item adheres by the regulations of the airline.

So now, with regards to the checked baggage, there are also prescribed limits for this. It differs depending on the ticket class and whether you're flying internationally or domestically. So since your flight is from India to London, I will post the checked baggage allowances for this route.

Checked Baggage Allowance for Air India Passengers (From India to London)
    • Economy Class - Up to 2 pieces, maximum of 23 kilograms each
    • First Class - Up to 3 pieces, maximum of 23 kilograms each
    • Executive Class - Up to 23 pieces, maximum of 23 kilograms each
    Then, you must also make sure that your checked baggage fits the following dimensions:

Dimensions for Checked Baggage

• Must not exceed 158 centimetres (in length + breadth + height) for each piece
    There you go, I hope this helps you!:)