1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How safe is Srinagar to visit?

Discussion in 'North India' started by GullKhan, Jul 29, 2015.

1. GullKhan

GullKhan New Member

I am planning a visit to Srinagar with my family with two kids aged five and eight years old. How safe is Srinagar and what is the current situation there?

What is the weather like in May?

2. Deven

Deven Member

Srinagar is safe as any other place in India, I know a lot of people who visit Srinagar and have a fantastic time there. Weather in May is perfect it is cold but not wintery, but if you do go in May make sure you prebook your accommodation as it is peak season.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

My own personal opinion is that it is best to avoid Srinagar especially when you have loads of other beautiful options across India. Yes Srinagar is beautiful but I wouldnt risk my life over seeing a beautiful place. There was a terrorist attack in Gurdaspur a couple of days ago which is widely believed to be an act of Pakistani nationals and such trouble is very common in Srinagar.

4. AmitNavin

AmitNavin New Member

It is easy to say that there are plenty of other places in India to visit but to be honest Srinagar is a place which can not be compared to any other place in India. I would advise that before you go to Srinagar just check what the situation is like.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Personally, I would stay away. There is no direct need to go there, and doing so will be more risk than a safer option. Do I think anything will happen? No, but why roll the dice, especially with children. It is very beautiful, but there is beauty all over India. Perhaps, in several more years, tourism will return there, but give it time.