1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Book Lower Berth Quota Ticket Online?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Wanderlust, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Can we specifically book lower berth quota ticket online on Indian Railways? My parents will be travelling alone and both of them are quite aged (70+) now. Climbing up to the middle or upper berth may be a problem for them, so I need to find a way to book only the lower berth train tickets.

Does Indian Railways offer any such privileges to the senior citizens? I will be extremely grateful if someone can guide me on how to book lower berth quota ticket online.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Yes, it is possible to book lower berth quota tickets online via IRCTC website. Here's the procedure -

Login to your IRCTC account and use the 'Plan My Journey' or 'Quick Book' section to search for train/berth availability. After selecting the desired class (AC 3-Tier, Sleeper etc), click on the 'Book' button. As usual, fill in the passenger details and make sure to select 'Lower' from the drop-down menu under the 5th column - 'Berth Preference'. Also ensure that you are ticking the respective check-boxes under 'Senior Citizen' column (6th column).

Now scroll down to the bottom of the page (on the same screen) and you will see a number of check boxes and radio buttons. If you wish to book lower berth quota tickets for both of your parents, then you should select the radio button next to 'Book, only if 2 lower berths are allotted'. If only a single lower berth is sufficient, then you may select the option 'Book, only if at least 1 lower berth is allotted'.

Here's a screenshot highlighting the lower berth ticket booking options -

book lower berth quota ticket online.jpg

Then click on the 'Next' button to go to the payment processing page.

That's all you need to do to book lower berth train tickets online. If lower berths are available, the system will process your booking, otherwise no tickets will be booked and a booking failure notification will be displayed to you.

Regards,
    Deb

Admin likes this.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Lovely description on How To Book Lower Berth Quota Ticket Online.

Thank you for taking the time to explain in such detail. Much appreciated.