1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to book luggage in train?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Brijwasi, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Brijwasi

Brijwasi New Member

My train journey will be on 19th October from Pune to Delhi. I will be shifting back to my home and will have a lot of luggage with me.

Apparently, if you have a lot of luggage you need to book it on the train, please help me in knowing how to book the luggage in train?

Would there be any extra cost for this, if yes how much?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

So first of all, check this thread out to know the maximum limits for luggages in train: How much luggage is allowed in Indian railways? So basically, there is a maximum weight limit allowed for bringing luggage with you in the train. There are also required limits for the dimensions of the luggages so they can fit in the train compartment. Once you exceed these limits, you should book your luggage in the brake van.

Requirements for Booking Luggage in Brake Van
    • Government identification card
    • Train ticket
    • Reservation for same train where you would book your luggage in
    How to Book Luggage in Indian Railways Brake Van
    • A day before your train's departure, go to the railway station and fill out the luggage form completely. It's better to go a day before the journey to make sure that you have a reservation for your luggage. Otherwise, the spots might get filled up completely and you won't be able to book your luggage anymore.
    • You would be given a luggage receipt and your endorsed train ticket for the luggage. Keep these two as they are necessary proofs for getting your luggage back.
    • On the day of your train schedule, make sure that you reach the railway station at least three hours in advance. Go to the parcel office and present your luggage receipt and endorsed train ticket for the luggage.
    • They would then load the luggage but make sure it's being loaded to the same train as yours. You can then board the same train and wait for the journey to end.
    Once you reach the destination railway station, go to the parcel office again and show your luggage receipt as well as endorsed train ticket for the luggage. They will then get your luggage from the train, give you a gate pass and you can be on your way home. The minimum charge per luggage is Rs. 30 and can be higher depending on the weight or dimension of your luggage.

If however, your luggage fits within the Maximum Quantity per Person (see thread I posted above), you are allowed to carry it within the compartment of the train. You would just be charged 1.5 times the normal luggage rate. You still have to register your luggage before your journey though as if you don't, you'd be charged six times the normal luggage rate if the officers found out that you're carrying luggage above the maximum limits. It's quite easy, you just need to go to the railway station at least an hour before your train's departure time and register your luggage at the parcel office, pay the required fees and have your ticket signed.

There you go, I hope this helps you!:)